Trying to Move Backup Files from one Local Drive to Another

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Duncan

Trying to Move Backup Files from one Local Drive to Another

Post by Duncan »

What am I doing wrong?

In AISBackup . . . .

1. I have a backup job (call it job 1) that I made to my F drive (a local hard drive in the CPU).

2. I recently added an external USB drive (my G drive), and I wish to move my backup files off of the F drive to the G drive.

3. I right click on job 1 (which, by the way, correctly shows at the bottom of the screen that the backup files are housed on the F drive), and click on Backup Maintenance.

4. I then right click on the root folder of the directory tree and chose "Move Folder to a New Drive." When asked which drive, I elect to move the Folder (and presumably all of its subfolders) to the G drive.

5. AISBackup reports apparent success, and shows that the root folder is now on the G drive (under the job name it is indicated that the files are on the G drive).

6. I go to the G drive via Windows Explorer and the files are not there. They are still on the F drive.

7. I then go back to the window that lists all of my backup jobs, and the job I was trying to move shows at the bottom of the screen that it is still on the F drive.

8. I go back to the Backup Maintenance Folder Tree, and it tells me these files are on the G drive.

Upshot: Either I am missing something (likely) or AISBackup has gotten confused about the drive letters.

First question: Who is confused? Me or the machine?

Second question: Can't I just copy all the backup files manually off of the F drive to the G drive using xcopy or Windows Explorer?

TIA

Duncan
Barry
Site Admin

Moving a backup

Post by Barry »

The AISBackup documentation may need changing in this area as there are two move processes in AISBackup; you should have used the second of the following options, however you may need to use option 1 again to put things right:

1: If you move your pictures from the C: drive to the D: drive then rather than backup the files again you can use the Manage Backup / Backup Maintenance option to 'move' the c:\ drive pictures to the d: drive, these are the files stored within the backup and not the actual backup. This is what you did, so I guess you need to re-run this option to move the files back to the 'C:' drive. I often use this option if I backup a disk from another PC using a USB-IDE cable as the backup drive letter will not be the original PC's drive letter (e.g. when the drive is attached to the PC it would be assigned a drive letter by Windows (W:) whereas the drive should really be C:)

2: To move the actual backup you should use the Manage Backup / Change Backup Destination option instead.

To learn more about external drive backup's see here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/externaldrives.php

Barry
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barry:

I have two follow up questions:

Question 1:

>>To move the actual backup you should use the Manage Backup / Change Backup Destination option instead.<<

Since you guys are roughly 7 hours ahead of me (I think that's right), I manually copied the files from F to G last night while I was sleeping. After reading your reply this morning, I used your option 1, and now have all of the backup files pointing back to the C drive - and the backup files are physically located on the G drive. So I think I am where I wanted to be, but . . . .

Have I messed anything up by using my method rather than the one quoted above?

Question 2:

I now have two separate backup jobs on my G drive. Since I have your attention (i.e., I suspect I could find the answer in the manual), is there a way to combine the two jobs into one? I ask this because I would guess there is a good bit of overlap between the files backed up in each job.

Thanks for your help.

Duncan

P.S. This is a super program: extremely flexible and, as best I can tell, rock solid.
Barry
Site Admin

Moving backup jobs

Post by Barry »

The time in the UK should be displayed at the top of the web pages.

It is not possible to merge backup jobs - this would be a lot of work. I prefer to have more than one backup of the same data, on different media if possible.

Try restoring one file from the external drive backup, just double click a jpg or doc and it should open up in the associated program, or drag and drop a file from the backup restore form to the desktop (or any other folder in explorer).

Barry