Computer Powers Off

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
edw1

Computer Powers Off

Post by edw1 »

Sometimes when I attempt to run Registry Backup the process starts and then the computer instantly powers off (no messages).
A normal power on does not work. I have to turn the power switch off at the back of the computer,wait,on again and then I can restart.
The curious thing is it does not happen when I first run it, which I do every morning after my backups but when I run it a second time the same day eg before installing a new software.
I have ckecked out all the usual things - CPU temp, fan speeds, voltages, all connections, ram, Virus scan.
I am running XP Home SP2 & comp is only 15 mths old.Using V2.4 (but also happened with V2.3). This has only started recently and does not occur with any other program. Any help much appreciated.
Regards
Ken Fairbanks
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Is this a backup job or the Tools / Backup Registry option?

There is nothing in AISBackup that should cause this problem, unless you are running a backup job which hibernates the PC after execution, but you would have made that setting yourself.

I guess there is a system error causing the reboot and the PC is re-booting because it is set to re-boot on system error, there should be a note of the error in the event logs (Right click My Computer / Manage / Event Viewer), if not disable re-boot on error and make a note of the ‘Blue Screen’ stop error message (if you can take a digital photo of the screen). To disable re-boot on error Right Click My Computer / Properties / Advanced / Startup and recovery / on system failure uncheck Automatically reboot.

Barry