What are reparse joint Junctions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Newbietoo

What are reparse joint Junctions

Post by Newbietoo »

When attempting a backup I received a message that no files had changed since my last backup, which wasn't right. Anyway I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4. and the backup then ran

However, just before the backup went ahead, I received a message saying "Special folders called reparse joint junctions have been selected for backup, however the data held in these folders has not been selected for backup"

...what does that mean and what are the ramifications for my backups?

Thanks
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Reparse points

Post by Barry »

Microsoft have always had the ability to point a folder to another place, these are called reparse points of type junction - good name eh?

Basically you have selected a reparse point for backup, but the actual location of the data is listed in the log file of AISBackup.

Windows Vista makes a lot of use of reparse points so that the new file structure in Vista remains compatible with programs designed for Windows XP, e.g. user data used to be held in C:\Documents and Settings, it is now held (or at least some of it) in C:\Users, C:\Documents and Settings now 'points to' 'C:\Users' except if you click on it in Windows Explorer you will get the message access denied. But if you have a program that has hard coded a link to a file in C:\Documents and Settings it will automatically be diverted to C:\Users without you even knowing.

The down side is if you select C:\Documents and Settings on its own AISBackup will not backup the data unless you also select C:\Users and C:\Program Data (I forgot that one!) hence the messages in the log. Now I appreciate this is probably too complicated and perhaps we should offer an option to automatically select the 'missing' files, albeit by via a confirmation button.

For now, just select the other folders mentioned in the log.

Version 2.3 actually backs up the data twice - which works and will restore correctly, but is in fact wrong. AISBackup should backup C:\Documents and Settings as a reparse point and backup the data from C:\Users (but only if selected).

Another example of a reparse point, which XP users may come across, is where you format a disk partition and mount it as a folder instead of a disk drive (e.g. C:\NewDisk instead of the usual D:\, E:\ drive - or whatever)

Barry