Recovery Backups

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Nicolas Forwood

Recovery Backups

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

Cheers Barry

On my Vista Home Premium I have 3 sets of backups for my DELL Inspiron 6400 Laptop:
1. A 3 DVD+R set of the C:\ drive (disaster recovery of data and Vista),
2. A 2 DVD+RW set which I call it Revolving Backup and I use it once per week for all my important programs / data,
3. A CD+RW to backup my registry once a month.

I have used the #2 and #3 sets often to recover items and works beautifully but I have never used the #1 set and my question concerns this set; If my system crashes, would I be able to use this set alone to restore my system or I will have to re install Vista first?

As you know. in Canada now days they don’t provide anymore a Vista CD / DVD when you buy a new computer but you must make (or ask the store to make one for you at $70.00 extra cost) a recovery set of your system (factory settings) with the software the computer has and you can only make ONE copy. Therefore if I ever have to use this backup, all my current settings will be gone.

Can you please let me know your recommendation on a bootable reliable disaster recovery set with AISBackup?
Thank you
Nicolas Forwood

Sorry Bary, I just noticed the post from JonJ on Mar-09-2007 "System Recovery Methods" and I think this answers my question. I will try to use Bart PE to backup Vista only (hope it will fit into 1 DVD). Then if all goes fine, I can re install AISBackup and use another set of backup DVD's to restore the rest of my C:/ drive. Does this sound as a good solution?
Nicolas Forwood

I used Bart PE before on Windows XP and worked fine along with the AISBackup. I just downloaded the latest version 3.1.10a but I did not see anything mentioned about Windows Vista. Do you know if Bart PE is compatible with Windows Vista?
Thank you
Barry
Site Admin

Disaster recovery Windows Vista

Post by Barry »

The bottom line is you either need to format a disk using PC running Windows Vista or you need a any copy of the Windows Vista installation DVD (including the beta versions) to get hold of a file called bootsect.exe. Bootsect.exe will run from a XP bartpe CD and will make a disk containing a Vista restore bootable.

I have restored Windows Vista using a PC running Windows 2000 to a disk using a USB cable, it would not boot because the boot sector needed updating with bootsect.exe. It would probably infringe MS copyright if bootsect.exe was distributed with AISBackup - I'll ask.

I think it is silly that bootsect.exe was not installed with Vista along with the other several GB of the operating system.

There is a plan to make a XP / Vista disaster recovery tutorial along the lines of this one:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/externaldrives.php

Barry
Nicolas Forwood

Very interesting. I will keep an eye for the new tutorial
Thank you
Nicolas Forwood

I tried to make a bootable DVD with BartPE and my Vista Home Premium but it does not work (BartPE does not recognize the Vista system files).

Assuming that I can get a copy of the bootsect.exe, can you let me know where I should copy this file on a Windows XP system and after I make the bootable DVD, how to use it?

I agree with you that MS should have copy this file to the HD of any Vista computer. We are only trying to protect ourselves from an inconvenience

Thank you,