FTP problems

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
pablo9000

FTP problems

Post by pablo9000 »

Hi,

I am having problems FTP'ing back-ups to our server. The backup will FTP a few of the files and then stalls. Following the stall if it is allowed to re-try, the program bombs completely and can't be closed. No matter how many times I reboot and select to continue previous uploads it doesn't get anywhere near close. The backup is quite large, 494 ZIP files, approximately 100MB.

All the FTP connection details are correct and FileZilla uploads the backed-up files without problem. I used FileZilla to FTP all the ZIP files to the server as it is important I have the files backed up in a off site location (I would like to avoid having to do this every day, however, if I need to while you resolve the problem, can I just upload new ZIP files created by the backup or is it more complicated than that?).

I have not tried to use AIS backup for a long time, when it was originally purchased the FTP functionality worked fine, a previous update broke things completely. I recently decided to give it another go and the latest update seems to be getting closer. Unfortunately I cannot remember the version number of the one that worked or the update that broke it and caused me to stop using it originally.

Thanks for your time,

Paul

AIS Version: 2.4.0.303
Windows: Vista Business
Barry
Site Admin

FTP upload

Post by Barry »

What is the destination FTP server? is this over an ADSL (DSL) or Ethernet connection?

AISBackup is tested with several different servers, e.g. Microsoft FTP, G6FTP and RadeonFTP and a lot of work has been done with restarting after a stall. If it is possible to for me to access your FTP server please use the 'Contact Us' or send me an e-mail with the server login password etc.

Barry
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

The destination is one of our own servers that is on a different site. It is a Linux based server. I am accessing it via a fast broadband connection.

I will send the connection details in a separate email.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP timeout problem

Post by Barry »

I have seen the following problem here using your server:

There is no indication of progress from your server for > 30 seconds
AISBackup FTP times out and displays stall dialog
The server resumes upload
AISBackup stall dialog expires (supposed to default to re-try)
AISBackup hangs with > 90% CPU utilization - bug

I hope this is what you are getting? A fix is been worked on, please allow access to your server until the fix is implemented as the fault cannot be duplicated on the FTP servers here.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Hanging

Post by Barry »

This is still been worked on but there is a problem testing:

If AISBackup is run from the interactive testing system it never seems to fail, however when run stand alone it hangs, but not all the time. Is there any indication of a problem in your FTP server log?

Which FTP server are you using?

Barry
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

The server log is not recording any FTP problems.

We use ProFTPd.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problem

Post by Barry »

I have run several tests to your server using this version of AISBackup, if possible please try this version and report back.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

Barry
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

Hi,

Unfortunately the problem still remains although it no longer crashes when retrying it doesn't seem to get very far before stalling. The program can also sometimes hang when clicking Abort.

I've not just left it to get on with it, and keep stalling and retrying but I have left it for several hours and although it did make some progress there is obviously still a problem. To upload the same amount of data using a FTP program would complete in well under an hour, this is still barley a few files through several hours later.

If you need any further details or logs generated by AIS Backup, please let me know.

Regards

Paul
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

The latest fix does seem to be improving things, I'm sure if I left it running long enough it would eventually FTP everything. The problem is the amount of time it takes and how often it stalls. I started the backup at 8:00 by 12:00 it's barely 1/4 of the way through the process (19 out of 121 files). Since I've been watching it, its spent more time stalled than uploading, often getting quite high in the stall count before resuming.

Why does it stall?

I've also noticed that the display of what's happening below the file progress bar on the scheduled window seems to stop updating after a while.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problem: Passive mode?

Post by Barry »

I have just run some tests to your server and found the following:

120 MB of backup data in 6 zip files – size of zip = 25MB.

Windows XP (Home) Passive not set 45 minutes hardly any stalls and none more than a few seconds.

Windows Vista (Pro) Passive not set 90 minutes (twice as long) qyuite a few stalls, some > 2 minutes.

Windows Vista (Pro) Passive mode set 50 minutes nearly as quick as XP – and time of day and your server’s load may have a bearing on the time.

I hope you have not already got passive mode set so that you can try it.

I have also got a question about this on the relevant programmers forum.

Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings / Passive Mode.

Barry
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

That worked, thanks so much for all your time and effort in resolving this issue.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Passive Mode

Post by Barry »

I'm just glad it is working now, and the error recovery is better in AISBackup now as a result of finding this fault.

I would like to continue using your server to make more tests of FTP upload recovery, if that is okay with you?

Barry
pablo9000

Post by pablo9000 »

Yeah that's fine.