Corrupted Filenames when Restoring! Please Help.

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
HMiller

Corrupted Filenames when Restoring! Please Help.

Post by HMiller »

Hello,

first of all: I like AISBackup :-)

but unfortunately there seems to be a problem when restoring files with special characters in it :!:

Especially the Unicode-Character "—" (A long Dash, shown as "U+2014: Em Dash, Keytroke: Alt+0151 in the XP Character Map Application):

This character will be restored as a "Box" (unknown/not valid character) and the file will be treated as not valid, i.e. you cannot rename or access it anymore :!:

This behaviour occured with 2.2.0.271 as well as with 2.3.1.298.
The OS is XPpro.

This is a serious problem for me, as I have hundreds of files containing one or more of this special character to back up.

I think this is a bug because the standard MS-Backup (ntbackup.exe) included with XPpro had no problems restoring the files correctly.

Could you please (hot)fix this.

Best Regards
Barry
Site Admin

Unicode character problem

Post by Barry »

I checked this problem using the — character and had the same result. The good news is the backup itself is holding the character correctly - so no need to worry about backing up everything again.

AISBackup has been corrected locally in this respect, and if you are in a hurry I can make this available to you, however, this will be a 'work in hand' copy of AISBackup which is having a major change made to the FTP part to enable remote file CRC checking and SSL encrypted transfer.

To our advantage is that you can test AISBackup with the other Unicode characters you found to be faulty :D

BTW: I found I could rename the □ files in explorer by removing □ and inserting Alt+0151

BTW2: When I paste the □ from the incorrect filename it got converted to &0151; on this forum, and hence back to —.

Barry