BartPE and AISBackup Problem

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
privateer

BartPE and AISBackup Problem

Post by privateer »

First, I *love* AISBackup, and the ability to use Bart PE as the boot environment for disaster recovery is a godsend! People at work told me, "There is no reliable way to do a 'bare metal' restore that works." Are they ever wrong!!

I've built a Bart PE v3.1.10a ISO with AISBackup v2.2 (build 271) based on WinXP Pro SP2 and I've run into a problem when I boot it up. When I try to start AISBackup, it starts, and opens a dialog stating "Testing Disc Interface" and "Please Wait". It never goes beyond this. I can't close the dialog box, or anything. TaskManager shows no real CPU usage, so it's not just spinning. I do have the "RpcSS needs to launch DCOM..." plug-in enabled, and Diskpart does seem to work.

Any suggestions on how I can get you more information about the specifics involved *or* things to look at myself?

Thanks,
Scott
Barry
Site Admin

BartPE start-up problem

Post by Barry »

I am pretty sure this problem has been resolved with AISBackup version 2.3 and 2.3.1, however, you should be able to use BartPE’s task manager to abort AISBackup and then restart AISBackup and choose not to test the ‘disc’ interface. The disc interface is not required for reading CD’s and DVD’s in any case.

Please let me know if restarting AISBackup works.

Unfortunately this problem cannot be replicated on any PC here.

Even if version 2.3.1 does not work I am sure we can provide a solution.

Barry
privateer

Post by privateer »

Okay, killing and restarting AISBackup does seem to fix the issue in v2.2. I'm not sure why the restart does something different than the original, unless it's a race condition or something.

In any event, thanks for the quick response!

Scott
Barry
Site Admin

The secret

Post by Barry »

AISBackup flags it is about to test the CD and DVD interface, if this works it removes the flag, if you kill AISBackup during the check, the flag is retained.

Each time AISBackup is about to test the CD or DVD interface it checks for the flag, if the flag is there it does not execute the checks when running with BartPE.

Barry