Issues after restoring a complete multi-boot XP config

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
BartK

Post by BartK »

A total breakdown of a RAID10 setup caused a complete restore of 5 partitions with a total of 400GB (netto) (1 milllion files). Everything went well and the systems where up within a 4-6 hours. I write this message because there were a few interesting events:

1) Some data was from a generation backup. It took a lot of time to remove all the expired data. With a session backup that should not happen. But for other reasons I need to make it a generation backup. Is there an option there could verify which expired (deleted) data is still on the backup? It's a big job to do that manually;

2) All the boot partitions were restored from the last session from a session backup . Allthough the Windows/Install folder looked as if it was restored successfully, it wasn't complete. Some shortcuts on the desktop were missing there icons. A "all session" restore solved the problem;

3) All jobs within Windows/Tasks were restored but where corrupted because Windows could nog solved the userid/password combination. I think that this is going wrong because the boot partitions are restored from another drive i.e. active Windows. A restore from the last session within the same system solved the problem;

4) At the start of one restore I got the message that the *.ail files were invalid. This caused all the huge files not be restored. Fortunatly I got a second PC which is a mirror on his own. So, I could restore them aswell. Is this a version related problem. I did the job with the latest version 2.3.0.295;

5) ZoneAlarm needed to be installed again. Spyware database was corrupted;

6) All the entries in the All Program list were marked (coloured) as new.

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Deleted files from generation backup's

Post by Barry »

1) Some data was from a generation backup. It took a lot of time to remove all the expired data. With a session backup that should not happen. But for other reasons I need to make it a generation backup. Is there an option there could verify which expired (deleted) data is still on the backup? It's a big job to do that manually;
The next release will have the option to exclude deleted files from generation style backup's when restoring. This means that only the latest copy of each file will be restored, however, in a disaster recovery situation like you had this is probably okay.
2) All the boot partitions were restored from the last session from a session backup . Allthough the Windows/Install folder looked as if it was restored successfully, it wasn't complete. Some shortcuts on the desktop were missing there icons. A "all session" restore solved the problem;
This problem was seen a long time ago, but cannot be reproduced here. There are very old XP backups which are been worked through.
3) All jobs within Windows/Tasks were restored but where corrupted because Windows could nog solved the userid/password combination. I think that this is going wrong because the boot partitions are restored from another drive i.e. active Windows. A restore from the last session within the same system solved the problem;
This problem cannot be reproduced either: Restore of XP to a new drive which is then installed in the same PC works okay. The 'hidden' user problem has not been investigated yet.
4) At the start of one restore I got the message that the *.ail files were invalid. This caused all the huge files not be restored. Fortunatly I got a second PC which is a mirror on his own. So, I could restore them aswell. Is this a version related problem. I did the job with the latest version 2.3.0.295;

Although huge file support is changing (in favour of using zip files) support for huge files in existing backups remains unchanged (AISBackup is always made compatible with old AISBackup's). It is possible that the database for this backup job got corrupt, this could have been fixed with Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup.
5) ZoneAlarm needed to be installed again. Spyware database was corrupted;

This problem has not been looked at yet. However, if programs lock themselves into the actual drive in which they are installed, and the drive is changed, problems lke this will occur.
6) All the entries in the All Program list were marked (coloured) as new.

Does anybody know the rule Microsoft uses to display 'newly installed programs'? - if it is date created then this would explain why the prorams are displaed this way.

Barry

Barry
BartK

Issues after restoring a complete multi-boot XP config (2)

Post by BartK »

Hello Barry,

Thanks for your response. My backups are from 2004 and 2005.

1) thanks for the option;

2) I 've restored a multi-boot machine with three boot partitions (1xNL+2xUK). All of them had the same incomplete Windows\Install folder. Paticarerly the MS-Office related entries were missing. After restore all the icons were missing and all the related Microsoft Updates failed. After an explicit restore (all levels) the problems were solved;

3) Again it went wrong for all three boot partitions. All Task jobs were corrupted. An explicit restore solved the problem.

I want to add a new incident:

7) Some of the partions were Shared. It seems that not all security settings were correctly recovered. A un-share share solved the problem. I don't know if this is part of the restore. Maybe a NTFS problem.

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Hi Bart

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

The ability to not restore deleted files from generation based backups has been introduced in version 2.3.1.

Non administrator accounts have been added to the 'schedule job' list, This may show the hidden accounts you mentioned.

The shares are held in the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares

Restores to new drives may cause drive letters to change and therefore invalidate the shares list - an unfortunate down side to restoring to a new drive, nevertheless AISBackup does remember the drive letter the operating system is running from and keeps this correct.

A reboot is required after manually making changes in 'Shares'.

Also see:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

By the way:

If you cannot change drive letters because disks are in-use work directly with MountedDevices instead.

A reboot is required after manually making changes in 'MountedDevices'.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I will try the latest version.

The restrores I did were on exactly the same drive letters. I know this issue (the standard Windows behaviour) and I recovered them before I did the restores.

I noticed:

8) The Password Protected: is on the same line as Compression:

There are so much options that it is sometimes difficult to know what all the possibilities are. But I want to make a new one: is it possible to make the All Jobs listing more dynamic and add more collums with backup meta data to it? And make it possible to (de)select the collumes within the options window? It should be handy to make it possible to change order, width, etc with the cursor.

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

List options

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

Which data would you like to display on the list? The columns are sizeable but they do not remember the size as the columns are automatically resized based on data width.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Basicly all the job characteristics displayed in the job tab view. On the long run it could replace the job tab view completly. Title change "All Jobs" into "Jobs".

Is there a way to simply refresh the display information? Now I have to close and open AISBackup.

Maybe a suggestion with a major impact: because settings were set at user level I have to set them many times. It should be nice to promote the settings to system level. But one step further it could be a great improvement to run AISBackup as a service on the background and access by system tray or control panel.
Barry
Site Admin

Refresh display

Post by Barry »

I thought the dispay was refreshed at the correct time - perhaps there are too many 'correct times'. I think F5 for refesh shlould be added - just in case.

An AISBackup service has been worked on for a while (about three weeks a year) - an AISBackup service has been running on a few PC's here doing nothing for years. Windows Vista may have caused problems, but now Vista is here the service will be looked at again.

Barry