Problem reading AISBackup-burned DVD for restore/verify

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Markus

Problem reading AISBackup-burned DVD for restore/verify

Post by Markus »

Hi,
I recently updated from build 271 to build 295. I´m backing up to DVD-R with a NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG under Windows XP Prof SP2.
Since the Update to build 295 I´m not able to read the burned DVD in the NEC-Drive after it was ejected once.
AISBackup burns the DVD and verifies the data (Job is set to "compare with source files") without problems.
After I eject and re-insert the DVD it´s not possible to read it in the NEC-Drive again. AISBackup is also not able to append a new session to the DVD. I was able to read the DVD on another machine with a DVD-Reader.
The DVDs I produced with build 271 can be read and verified without any problems.
Did you change something in the way the DVDs are burned between build 271 and 295 or do you have any suggestions how to solve the problem?
any help welcome.
Regards
Markus
Barry
Site Admin

Disc writer

Post by Barry »

There were some updates to improve the ability of AISBackup to 'see' the disc after the write phase but there were no changes to the way AISBackup makes the disc.

Is the disc recognised after AISBackup is restarted? and is it possible for you to confirm that build 271 still works with this drive? Are you using a different brand of media?

We are looking at another disc burning engine with a view to updating AISBackup.

Barry
Markus

Re: Disc writer

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
the disc is never recognized on this machine. When I try to access it from Windows Explorer I get an error-message "illegal function".
The discs created with build 271 (same brand of media) work without a problem.
I did not check with build 271 again but I will try.
Can I install build 271 on top of 295 or can I install in a second directory without interfering th two installations?

Regards
Markus
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup

Post by Barry »

You may install 271 to another folder, it should pick up the key file okay. Versions oldr than 271 will need the key file to be copied to the program folder.

Did you install 2.3 to a new folder? Maybe the Binary Magics ASPI driver is no longer in the program path. Use the Tools / Program Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD problems to check this.

Barry
Markus

Re: AISBackup

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
I tried 271 an ran into the same problem. So I tracked the problem down a bit:
I´ve got the same result with the Binary Magics ASPI and also with the Nero-ASPI-Driver on my System.
I´m able to use a third-Party DVD-writer (Nero) to produce the DVD. I can add Sessions to this DVD with the AISbackup integrated DVD-writer and the DVD remains readable without any problems.
I can also produce small backups on DVD and I am able to read the DVDs without problems.
After these tests I think the problem is with the size of the DVD-Session produced. The number of backed up files increased since I ran the last full backup with the previous AISbackup-Version, so I thought the problem was with the new version.
The session produced by the full backup is 3.924 MB in size. Is it possible that the AISbackup integrated DVD-writer runs into a problem with a session of this size?

Regards
Markus
Barry
Site Admin

DVD session size

Post by Barry »

One test we run uses 9 DVD's in one backup, i.e. a compressed size of > 40GB. A couple of months ago I had a similar problem, swapping the drive fixed this - but we have a few DVD writers to choose from. It may be worth checking the DVD manufacturer's site for a firmware upgrade.

There is a new (pre-release) version of AISBackup which was uploaded to fix a problem validating the disc after an 'auto-run' job, however I do not think it will fix the problem you are having - new firmware might though - as too would trying different disc media.

Here is the download link:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Barry