Most days have 2 zip files. Why?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brook

Most days have 2 zip files. Why?

Post by Brook »

I have set AIS Backup to run once a day. I just noticed that on most days, but not all, there are two zip files created instead of the expected one file. The files are created within a minute of each other and can be of similar or dissimilar filesize. Why are two zips created on most days?

Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

Why so many zip files?

Post by Barry »

It is normal for AISBackup to create more than one zip file, this does not matter because AISBackup keeps a record of where all files are and you never need to go to the zip files to restore files yourself.

Here are a few reasons why a new zip file is started:

The zip file has reach its maximum size, this can be changed.

The zip file has reached the maximum number of files, this too can be changed.

AISBackup has moved to a different backup phase, these phases include: Backup normal files, Backup files which require services to be suspended, Backup the Registry, Backup Opened Exclusive files.

Files are been backed up from more than one disk drive, a new zip file is started on change of drive.

Zip files are kept quite small to enable more efficient backup pruning for backups to most media except CD / DVD ROM (read only) media, the rules for splitting zip files do not change for write once / read many (worm) media such as CD-ROM.

Barry
Brook

Why so many zip files?

Post by Brook »

Barry,

Great answer. I get it.

Thanks,

Brook