Possibly a daft newbie question...

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Will

Possibly a daft newbie question...

Post by Will »

Can I make AISBackup backup to single .zip files upto a maximum size at which point a new .zip would be created? Currently, I've got it backing up a folder that contains a lot of subfolders and a couple of thousand files. There doesn't appear to be any obvious logic to the .zip backup files that are being created - typically around the 20MB range. This leaves me with a large numebr of .zip files whereas I would prefer to have fewer, but larger backup files. I've set the huge threshold to 500MB and set it to compress huge files, but most of the files are less than 5MB each so I don't know why multiple .zip files are being created.

Thanks for your time.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup zip files

Post by Barry »

Hi Will

The backup files are split over a number of zip files to improve efficiency in many of the AISBackup features. It is not intended that people should use another zip program to restore files but instead use the AISBackup Restore option.

The rules for creating the zip files are:

Up to 200 files whose total size is < 25MB

One File per zip file >= 25MB

Why do you want te files backed up to fewer zip files?

Barry
Will

Post by Will »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for taking time to repsond.

I tend to keep offsite backups on CDRs (compiled and burnt manually) and having a smaller collection of backup .zip files means it's easier for me to manage. It would be nice to have the option of setting the .zip filesize to personal preferences.

Can you explain how the current system came about? Why is it more efficient to group around the current size thresholds?