Attempting a backup to DVD+R DL

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
cmessmer

Attempting a backup to DVD+R DL

Post by cmessmer »

I am trying to do this using the the ASPI drive from NERO v7.5. Over the past several weeks I have gone thru every reference I can find on this site and searched the forum every way I can think of with no success. Any time I try this it fails after having written to the first layer. The only thing I have been able to make work is do the backup directly to disk and then separately copy the final product to DVD outside of AISBackup. However, when I want to do a restore, I am forced to copy the whole thing back to a hard drive to do the restore. Is there any way to make this work? I would be happy if there was some way of just makeing the DVD directly usable for restores. Is there something additional I need to add to the DVD image that would make the restore side work with having to copy if to disk. I should mention that I am doing the restore on a different system from the one I ran the backup on.
Charles Messmer
cmessmer

Followup info

Post by cmessmer »

I should mention that I started out using AISBackup 2.0, upgraded to 2.2 and I am now running the Release version 2.3 build 273. The first time I tried this it worked but I have never been able to repeat that early success. Sure wish I had written down just what I did differently! I should also mention that the drive I am using works fine for all other purposes.
Charles Messmer
Barry
Site Admin

DVD backup

Post by Barry »

I am not sure what the problem is, except the backup is not been written to DVD. Is this a dual layer DVD problem or a general DVD writing problem? Manually copying a disk based backup to DVD is not a good idea because AISBackup needs to know where each file is, the Manage Backup / Copy Backup to CD or DVD should be used instead.

The help has been updated in AISBackup 2.3 to describe the different ways AISBackup can write to DVD, but basically the recommended method is to use the integrated disc writer, and set this to use the supplied Binary Magics ASPI drivers (this should be the default). This help page also shows you how to identify the type of DVD job you have set-up.

Please type F1 to enter help and then Contents / Introduction / CD and DVD writer options. If this does not help please use the Help / Bug Report options too send the job files so that a more informed answer may be given.

Barry