Cannot set a Password

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Newbietoo

Cannot set a Password

Post by Newbietoo »

Couple of Questions:

1) When creating a new Backup Job (or maintaining an existing one) to DVD, the Password Button is greyed out; how do I activate it? It's OK, for Backups to a Harddisk.

2) When setting up a Job to Auto Run (to DVD) is there a way to get AIS to automatically erase the Disk before starting? I set the option of "Full Backup" (or whatever that option is), but that doesn't do it

Thanks,
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

A couple of answers

Post by Barry »

1/ When the backup is to CD or DVD the password can only be changed after resetting the job, this is because the password cannot be changed on the existing zip files when the backup is using the integreated writer and changing the password on 'packet written' discs would take a very long time - and this process cannot be interrupted, even if the backup was over several discs.

2/ Manage Backup / Create Shortcut for this backup job / Check Clear Backup Contents File (Backup Everything) / Check Use Loaded Media - No prompt to change Media / Destination Database Deletion Options - Delete Everything.

Barry
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

Barry,

1) I can't set a Password even when creating a New Job to CD/DVD; I only get that option if its to HDD or Network.

Same thing after resetting the Job. The Password Button is still greyed out (the "Reset" Option is no longer selectable either, confirming I guess that it has in fact been re-set)

Thanks,
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Setting a password

Post by Barry »

New Job / Manually Choose... / A CD using the integrated ... / 'AA' / click volume prefix / 'AA' / check Password Protect / Next / The password form is displayed, is this not with your version of AISBackup?

Which version of AISBackup are you using?

I tried with and without a password seed (you mentioned this in an earlier post).

Has this ever worked on your system?

Please send me the job parameters along with the AISBackup settings so that I can see if the settings are causing a problem. I ran the above with build 287 and 2.2 271

Barry
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

DOH!!

I missed the "Password Protect" check box; I was going straight for the "Password Change" Button.

My apologies Barry.

Thanks,
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Change password

Post by Barry »

That still does not explain why the change pasword does not work after resetting a backup.

Barry
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

...yes it does; I hadn't set one on the first place!

I guess the operative word is "Change" rather than create, which is a subtlety I missed. I had a Job with no Password and then decided to have one. When you "Reset" a Job you don't get the option of creating a Password, you can only change an existing one.

In light of this; a suggestion...

It would be good if that password change functionality could just be modified to simply "Password" so you can either create or change one. As I said, it's a bit subtle and the average user is unlikely to remember (as I didn't) that creating Passwords is a part of creating a Job. It's not intuitive having Password-related functionality in a couple of different places

Thanks,
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Password

Post by Barry »

The button on change backup settings has been changed to Password to reflect the multi-use of this button, i.e. Add, change and remove the password.

The option is not allowed on any pre-existing external drive or CD/DVD backup as these can be multi-volume and is prone to error - resetting the backup is the only way.

The option did not work in the beta for pre-existing disk based backups, this has been fixed. Just as well the option did not work because AISBackup disappeared until the password change completed - several minutes during which time I only knew something was via task manager.

The help index has been updated to make the password options easier to find,. Does anybody press F1 for help?

Barry
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

Help??...Yes, of course I read it :wink: But it gets a bit confusing when it gets to the Password stuff. For example, I did consult it a few times in an endeavour to solve my problem before logging this issue (like a good boy), but the answers weren't there

Patrick
Newbietoo