Alternative to using AIS to prepare CD backup

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
dolph

Alternative to using AIS to prepare CD backup

Post by dolph »

I've just about given up trying to prepare an emergency backup onto a CD within the program. What I am able to do is to prepare the emergency backup on one of my hard drives - then copy the folder and files onto a CD. Is there a problem with doing this?

When I follow this route, I get an "Emergency Backup" folder on the hard drive. Do I copy the folder onto the CD or the contents of the folder?

I truly enjoy using this program and, if the foregoing works, I will undoubtedly keep and register the program.

Thank you.
Barry
Site Admin

Emergency System Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

We will try and make this easier in the next release of AISBackup.

Prior to version 1.6 the only way to create the Emergency Backup CD was using a third party CD Mastering program.

You should copy the content of the folder to the CD and not put the folder at the root of the CD.

If the content is > the size of a CD please start the 'Copy to CD' phase, AISBackup will prepare all the folders for you along with a DOS Batch file that knows the restore is on more than one CD (this is important).

Ignore the request to start the 'Write' phase, but instead:

Copy the content of each of these folders to CD naming the CD exactly the same as the folder name. If possible make the CDs bootable using the AISBackup Enhanced Windows start-up diskette.

Once you have created the CDs abort the AISBackup Copy to CD function.

If possible try and get hold of a spare hard drive to test the emergency restore option without compromising your existing system.

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
dolph

Re: Emergency System Backup

Post by dolph »

Thank you for your continuing help - augurs well for continuing support as I intend to buy the program. Nevertheless, I still have some questions and observations:

1. I have not succeeded in creating the emergency CD from within the program. But copying the necessary files onto a CD by usung NERO works just fine.

2. Re the Windows Startup disk - other than adding the smartdrv.exe file to the disk in what way does an AIS backup diskup differ? And how do I prepare it?

Thank you.
dolph

Post by dolph »

I found out how to prepare the augmented startup disk. Thank you anyway.