Confused about Passwords

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Newbietoo

Confused about Passwords

Post by Newbietoo »

Hi,

I've read and re-read the Password Help a number of times and still don't get it. It is not helped by the fact that the Help doesn't seem to gel exactly with what the Form fields are:

1) what does "All copies of AIS with the same seed mean"..is the seed provided by AIS? If that's the case, where does the Password fit in?

2) What does unique to your copy of AIS mean? In the event you lose your harddisk, does that mean you're relying on the copy of AIS saved with the back up? If so what if it's corrupted?

It really needs a clearer explanation. I'm confused

Thanks,
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Password / Encrypted and Seed

Post by Barry »

AISBackup uses the zip file format and as such the password scheme is considered weak, mainly because small passwords can be got with brute force attacks and dictionary attacks are also quite sophisticated and quick. As far as I know, it would still tale a long time to crack a 30 character password of 64 characters, this is what AISBackup can convert a 'weak word' password to before applying to the zip file. This is similar to some key generators used to create WEP keys on wireless routers.

Example:

Your password is fred, this will be quickly found by a brute force password attack.

Using the AISBackup conversion fred will be converted to drCEFgOFlBLYHVrQ=]a:S\C_p^mdNNQPMlrYeG^e very difficult to crack (and if anybody knows differently please let us know).

Now AISBackup always converts fred to drCEFgOFlBLYHVrQ=]a:S\C_p^mdNNQPMlrYeG^e so if you would rather your copies of AISBackup to generate a different encrypted password for fred enter a password seed, for example use my password will cause AISBackup to generate a password of @GppRnlqXuPX<cEN^upFjHxnU]@TWxUhVA;?GpNG instead.

AISBackup will always try converting a password using the default password seed to enable the seed to be set at a later date, however, AISBackup only supports one seed, so changing a seed value will disable restores from backups using a different password seed.

All this password seed business is overkill, however if a backup is lost and the original password (fred) is known the backup could not be restored using AISBackup unless the password seed is also known.

Barry
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

Hi Barry,

That's what I though it might be, but where do I enter the Seed?

If I understand what you said...I can use any Version of AIS to recover a Backup provided I know the seed and password? I took the reference in the Online Help to "YOUR copies of AIS Backup" literally i.e. I though it would need to access the License Key from my copy of the software or something as a component of the seed. We already have two AIS licenses and may need more...that's too many moving parts for my comfort.

So, if I just use a Password, and check the "Encrypt" box it will use AIS "standard" seed and I can recover using any version of AIS so long as I remember the Password of course. If I want to strengthen that, I can use my own seed, but as I said above, where do I enter that?

Thanks,
Patrick
Last edited by Newbietoo on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbietoo
Newbietoo

Post by Newbietoo »

AH HA!!

After some hunting around, I have just found where you enter the Seed.

Tip: it would be good to make mention of that in the Help related to setting Passwords, or even better, make the Seed accessible from the Password form ( I do appreciate it is a "system" rather than backup setting)

Thanks
Patrick
Newbietoo