Registering from Admin account

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanG

Registering from Admin account

Post by IanG »

I've just licensed AISB and tried to run a backup from a shortcut. After it twice failed to start (no error message) I opened up AISB and got a message to the effect that the registration must be done from the Administrator account, even though my normal acc has admin privs. Why the insistance on using the admin acc?

<edit>

I've been using the 2.3 beta - when I went back to 2.2 the registration was fine!

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

License

Post by Barry »

We'll look into this. Is version 2.3 working okay now that you registered using 2.2?

Did you use the drag and drop method or double click the key file?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Insist on admin for registration

Post by Barry »

An admin account is required for registration because AISBackup writes license information to shared areas of the registry that non-admin accounts cannot update.

Barry
IanG

Re: License

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:We'll look into this. Is version 2.3 working okay now that you registered using 2.2?

Did you use the drag and drop method or double click the key file?

Barry
V2.3 is fine, now that I've done the registration from 2.2. I tried drag & drop, double clicking and just letting AISB find the keyfile itself. They all behaved identically - I got a splash screen and then a message insisting that the Administrator account was used to do the registration. Please note that I already had the admin privs - AISB wanted the specific account.

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Admin message

Post by Barry »

Was this the message you got or was it something similar?
AISBackup must be registered from a System Administrators Account.

After registration AISBackup may be run from a non-administrator account but access may be denied to some files selected for backup.

Install and register AISBackup on an Administrators account then re-install to the same folder on this account.

AISBackup will now close down.
Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

That's the one, though I'd have sworn it said "the" rather than "a" system administrator account :oops:

Ian G.
Last edited by IanG on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Site Admin

Register problem with beta

Post by Barry »

I think you're using XP Professional, if so please double check the account security settings for me:

Code: Select all

Start / Run / control userpasswords2 / OK

Advanced Tab

Advanced Button

Users

Double click the user which was trying to register AISBackup

Member of tab

Please list the entries in this list, in order &#40;it may only be Administrators&#41;
I cannot make it go wrong here - and we could be in big trouble if 2.3 does not register correctly!

Barry
IanG

Re: Register problem with beta

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:I think you're using XP Professional, if so please double check the account security settings for me:
You're right - I am. My account is only a member of the Administrators group.

The exact sequence was:-
Install V2.2
Install V2.3 over it (I think it was the previous build)
Put key file in same folder as AISBACKUP.exe
Run AISB - I got the splash screen saying it was registered to me, but then I got the message above and AISB shut down a few seconds later.
Reinstall V2.2
Put key file in same folder as AISBACKUP.exe
Run AISB - no problem
Install V2.3 over it (current build)
Run AISB - no problem

Ian G.
IanG

Post by IanG »

I've just tried uninstalling AISB (but kept the db files) and reinstalling V2.3 build 279. The key file is not in the same folder as the .exe. I get the message again! Installed 2.2 over the top and it runs OK as a trial. Installed 2.3 over the top and that runs OK as a trial, too. Tried dragging the key file in and I'm back to the dire warnings about using A sys admin acc!

HTH

Ian G.
IanG

Post by IanG »

I've tried things on a different PC and it worked fine!

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Key file

Post by Barry »

Thank you for running the tests on another computer – at least you can see the problem I am having where things do not go wrong here.

There may be a timing issue with version 2.3. The internal 'running as administrator' flag is now set much earlier in the program so should avoid the inability to register AISBackup.

A hidden menu option Tools / Revert to trial version has been added which renames the key file to aisbackup.aik.old and re-sets registration information.

Restart AISBackup to register the trial.

Close AISBackup

Rename aisbackup.aik.old to aisbackup.aik

And restart AISBackup to register.

I expect this to work but I would be interested in knowing if another dialogue box pops-up “Registration Check Failed:”.

I’ll e-mail you the download link as this version of AISBackup will not be made available for general download as the menu option will be removed when things are working. I'll also show you how to show the hidden menu options.

Barry
IanG

Re: Key file

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:Thank you for running the tests on another computer – at least you can see the problem I am having where things do not go wrong here.
Been there, ate the t-shirt etc!

I downloaded the current beta (still showing as build 279) but now I'm getting different results -

1st attempt I got the sys admin message, and then the "Enter Registration Details" window popped up behind it! The program did not close down until I closed the "Enter Registration Details" window.

2nd attempt was like the original problem

3rd attempt was like #1, but the "Enter Registration Details" window was in front of the sys admin message. I shifted focus to IE, but when I went back to AISB the sys admin message was in front again!

I've tried a few more times and #3 is the most common. It doesn't matter whether or not the key file is present.

Ian G.
IanG

Post by IanG »

Sorry, I'm being dense - I started from the problem state!

Uninstalled, installed V2.2, registered and installed latest 2.3. I've gone into All Debug Mode, but no option to revert to trial version!

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

The test version

Post by Barry »

The version should show 280, this is a special build just for you. I sent an e-mail with the link to this version, did you get the e-mail?

Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

I tried build 280, but no luck I'm afraid! The key file's renamed, but the problem's still there!

Ian G.