Restore error in V.2.2.0.271

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Kob

Restore error in V.2.2.0.271

Post by Kob »

I have a 10GB file on my HD, with 1GB free space left. I backed-up this file to 3 DVD -R's to free some space on the HD. Before deleting the file after the completion of the backup I wanted to build some confidence in the ability to restore the file in the futue - so I tried to restore to the same location to see how it goes (marking to confirm on overwrite). The restore process started and stopped after 10 seconds, informing me that the restore process is finished (it is not), with the following message:

Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds(0)
Component: fAquariousBackup
Restore Ended: (10 seconds after the start)

And in the details windows:
-------------------------------------------
Collecting File Details, Please Wait...
Preparing Files
Sorting Selected Files
Preparing Folders pass 1 of 2
Preparing Folders pass 2 of 2
Checking Destination Folder Attributes
Setting Folder Dates
-----------------------------------------
Any hints? Using Win XP SP1 (patched)
Barry
Site Admin

10 GB file

Post by Barry »

We will have to make a similar backup.

Does the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option test the file correctly?

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

Hi,

I ran the Validate (test) backup (with the "test read the backup files" checked) and everything was reported as "segment OK".
Barry
Site Admin

10 GB file backup

Post by Barry »

That's good news!

I am running tests with version 2.2 and a 10 GB file to DVD. We did have a problem reported with a backup that only contained huge files (which yours does). This is fixed in the beta, if you would like to try that?

I'll report back, probably tomorrow, on restoring the 10GB file with version 2.2.

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

I will wait for your report in case you need me to do some other tests with that version (I assume that both the current stable and the beta version can't be run side-by-side). Then I will try the beta.
If I can install and run the beta while preserving the current stable install, please let me know.

Thanks, Kob
Barry
Site Admin

Run Beta along side 2.2

Post by Barry »

The beta can run alongside any other version of AISBackup but only if AISBackup activation key file has been installed (AISBackup.aik).

If the trial version or the activation key 'number' was entered by hand AISBackup will have to be installed 'over the top' of the existing version, however, you can keep re-installing different versions this way.

The beta version is compatible with backups made with all previous versions of AISBackup - and there is a quick turn around if serious beta related problems are found. Backups on the beta are also compatible with version 2.2.

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

I installed 2.3.279 Beta on top of the previous installation and tried to restore. Same program response as before, with the same error messages.

I also looked at the log screen, and there is another exception listed:

7:44:26 PM START AISBackup started: Friday, June 02, 2006 7:44:26 PM
JOB Tweety_TIB
7:48:35 PM STRSTR Restore Started: Friday, June 02, 2006 7:48:35 PM
7:48:47 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EStringListError: List index out of bounds (0)
7:48:47 PM EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
7:48:47 PM ENDRSTR Restore Ended: Friday, June 02, 2006 7:48:47 PM

7:53:27 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 005D1752 in module 'AISBACKUP.exe'. Read of address 00000000
7:53:28 PM EXCEPTION Component: frmLogFile

P.S. a side note: V.2.3 reported the backup session date as 30 Dec 1899.
Don't remember what V.2.2 reported, but evidently this is a wrong date.
Barry
Site Admin

Single huge file Backup

Post by Barry »

The date is a problem fixed in version 2.3 (After a validate). I have only just completed the backup of a 10GB file (2 DVD's) I will report on the restore as soon as I can. The date problem happens if there are only huge files in the backup.

I was not having an error until I used the 'select files to replace' option, is this the same as you? If not please list each option you are selecting in turn so that I may duplicate the problem here. I tried a restore to another drive and that started to work okay - except abort needs to be made faster.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Huge file restore error - Asking which files to Replace

Post by Barry »

The problem has been found when asking which files to replace. The problem affects backups which oly contain huge files. A work around is to, delete files which are to be replaced and use the 'Do not replace duplicates' option. However, an upload with a fix will be available in a few days. As there is only one file in your backup then the work-around is probably OK. If the file is *really* imporant back it up again. Version 2.3 does not make so many huge file segments per DVD and the session date should be correct.

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

Barry,

Yes, I did use the 'select files to replace' option. Since the file is important I will restore it to another HD just to be on the safe side.

It is great that you found the reason for this. I greatly appreciate the expedient investigation on your part, and will certainly try the new build when it is ready.

Thanks,
Kob
Kob

Post by Kob »

Hi Barry,

I just installed B.280 over my prior installation, and went to check if there were no more restore errors on my huge file, as had been reported at the top of this thread.

I am glad to report that I was able to go all the way to the point of "about to perform the backup", where I elected to cancel the process. Good.

Then I looked at the log and there it was - an exception:

JOB Tweety_TIB
7:04:40 PM STRSTR Restore Started: Friday, June 16, 2006 7:04:40 PM
7:05:08 PM ENDRSTR Restore Aborted: Friday, June 16, 2006 7:05:08 PM

7:06:22 PM EXCEPTION Exception: EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 005D21E6 in module 'AISBACKUP.exe'. Read of address 00000000
7:06:22 PM EXCEPTION Component: frmLogFile

FYI.
Barry
Site Admin

Log file exception

Post by Barry »

Thanks for the report on the log file display error.

Barry