Ricoh 5125 Support?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
JohannesH

Ricoh 5125 Support?

Post by JohannesH »

Hi,
I downloaded the demo version of AISBackup and I am impressed about all the features of this Backup Utility.

But till now I could not get AISBackup to work with my new Ricoh 5125 DVD+RW burner with the AIS integrated burning. I would really prefer the integrated burning because I am really skeptic about the packet writing mechanism (InCD did work but I do not really want to use it with essential data backup).
The problem I see when using the internal burning is: Even if I insert a factory fresh DVD+RW media AISBackup tells me that the media has to be formatted. Ok, I let AISBackup do the format which takes some time but at the end it tells me about an error - no reason only that there was an error.
So, the question is: Is the Ricoh 5125 supported by the internal burner of AISBackup? The latest Firmware is already loaded into the Ricoh. Are there any experiences with this burner in combination with AISBackup?

My System:
ASUS P4B266E, Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 512MB
Windows XP Prof. + SP1

Any hints are welcome
Thank you
Johannes
Vienna / Austria / Europe
Barry
Site Admin

DVD+RW

Post by Barry »

Hi Johannes

We are looking into why this is not working, this is what we have found so far:

We have tested a Ricoh MP5120A with AISBackup and this works okay with DVD+RW but only when using the packet writing system (DirectCD).

I tried using Easy CD Creator, which creates CD’s and DVD’s in the same format as AISBackup but this will not write to DVD+RW, it just ejected it saying it is the wrong format.

We will continue to run some tests and will inform you of our findings.

Barry
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

OK - thank you for this information.

Johannes
Chris

Ricoh 5125

Post by Chris »

I also have a Ricoh 5125. It has taken over from my old CD-RW seamlessly as far as writing to CD-R with AIS writer is concerned.
But I would like to know if I can use a DVD+R as the next disc in my backup set and continue as before (though with fewer disc changes :) ). This thread would suggest not, but could you confirm, Barry?
Best wishes, Chris
Barry
Site Admin

Continue on DVD-R

Post by Barry »

Hi Chris

If the CD backup was using a packet writing system then you can continue on the DVD+R as long as this is supported by your packet writing system, DVD+RW is supported by Roxio and Ahead.

If the backup was originally using the integrated AISBackup CD Writer then the official answer is no, but we could manually change the script to the version that uses the Packet Writing system.

Barry
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Barry,

And if I start a new backup set - will that work on DVD+RW using the AIS writer?

I had some trouble transferring large files back and forth to DVD+RW using DirectCD and so have InCD installed at the moment. Best option seems to me to be to use your writer if possible.

Best wishes, Chris
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Hi!

>>>
And if I start a new backup set - will that work on DVD+RW using the AIS writer?
<<<

So we are back at the point I started this thread here. Exactly this does not work (AIS internal writer with DVD+RW). So the answer to your question is NO (at least nowadays).

BTW, an news an this issue? I reported this initially on Nov. 28, 2002. And I think that the Ricoh 5125 is "the reference" in the field of DVD+R(W) burners.

Regards
Johannes