Backup's confused about which CD to write to

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanG

Backup's confused about which CD to write to

Post by IanG »

I'm using v2.2.0.271. My last backup asked for a blank CD to be loaded, but after it was loaded it asked for the previous cd instead. I meekly did as I was told and the backup was written to the old cd. But, all the status messages referred to what would have been the next disk label, and the backup's parting shot was an instruction to label the "new disk".

So, it looks like I've got a database that thinks my files are on the wrong disk - is there anything I can do to correct the db, and is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Blank or previous disc?

Post by Barry »

Was this problem at the start of backup or during the backup? Was the named CD asked for immediately after the blank was loaded (and OK clicked)? Please also let us know which operating system this is running on.

AISBackup usually asks for the last CD used and not a blank because it does not know how much free space is available.

Please send in the job files for this job using the Help / Bug Report option and identify the session up to where the job asked for a new CD. From these job files we may be able to replicate the problem.

To correct the problem use the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option, there is no need to leave Test Read Files checked (to speed up the test process).

Barry
IanG

Re: Blank or previous disc?

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:Was this problem at the start of backup or during the backup? Was the named CD asked for immediately after the blank was loaded (and OK clicked)? Please also let us know which operating system this is running on.

AISBackup usually asks for the last CD used and not a blank because it does not know how much free space is available.
The old cd was loaded before the job was started and the new disk was requested shortly after the cd was accessed for the first time. The request to load the old cd was very soon after OK had been clicked, but I wouldn't swear that it was immediate. This is being run under XP Pro, SP2.

Thanks for your help!

Ian G.
IanG

Re: Blank or previous disc?

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:To correct the problem use the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option, there is no need to leave Test Read Files checked (to speed up the test process).

Barry
That didn't work - what was disk 1 has been renamed as disk 2, so AISB thinks disk 1 is missing and suggests that it's unselected. Doing that results in everything backed up prior to the problem being removed from the db! Importing the backup contents file has restored everything to the db, but it thinks the backup files are spread over disks 1 & 2. Since I can't rename the disk, that means most of the content is inaccesible.

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Missing CD1

Post by Barry »

I can see what has happened, and this should not be possible so I will have to try and re-create the problem here. Basically AISBackup must have thought that the disc used for CD2 was blank, which basically we must add another test to see if the disc has been swapped. When running this job AISBackup would have asked for CD1 then if there was not enough free space asked for a blank, not ask for a blank and then ask for CD1.

Basically your CD still contains the disc 1 files but they are hidden and there may not be enough room on the CD to re-instate them, please initiate another backup (bit do not run the backup) and load 'CD2' and let me know how much free space is left.

I attempted to mirror your backup using the bug report you sent in. I mage 3 backup sessions until the CD was almost full. The next backup session then reported CD 1 did not have enough free space and to load a blank CD; do you recall this happening?

After loading the blank and clicking OK I swapped the CD for CD1 and was able to replicate the problem. The data that was on CD1 is no longer accessible in Windows but I have just found that they can be accessed programmatically. What we need to do is extract the old CD 1 files and burn them to a new CD1.

AISBackup will also be changed in an attempt to prevent this kind of problem re-occurring.

From this you can see that

Barry
IanG

Re: Missing CD1

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:When running this job AISBackup would have asked for CD1 then if there was not enough free space asked for a blank, not ask for a blank and then ask for CD1.
CD1 was loaded before the backup was run, so I assume AISBackup would have known it was there - I'm fairly sure it was accessed before the request to load a blank disk.
please initiate another backup (bit do not run the backup) and load 'CD2' and let me know how much free space is left.
Sorry, I don't understand - how can I find the free space without running the backup? There's very little space left though!
I attempted to mirror your backup using the bug report you sent in. I mage 3 backup sessions until the CD was almost full. The next backup session then reported CD 1 did not have enough free space and to load a blank CD; do you recall this happening?
Yes, it did, and then prompted for CD1 after the blank was loaded. If it helps, the uncompressed files would have used up more than the available space, though there was enough room for the compressed files.
After loading the blank and clicking OK I swapped the CD for CD1 and was able to replicate the problem.
I was prompted to load CD1 after I'd loaded the blank, though.
The data that was on CD1 is no longer accessible in Windows but I have just found that they can be accessed programmatically. What we need to do is extract the old CD 1 files and burn them to a new CD1.
It would be useful to know how to do this, but I haven't lost any files (yet!) so I can reset the backup and start again.

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Asking for CD1 after Blank

Post by Barry »

AISBackup has been designed to ask for discs in the correct order, this is not to say that there is not a problem, it is just difficult to reproduce the problem. However, putting the extra volume name check just prior to burning should prevent this happening again.

I think it is a good idea for us to provide a program which gives access to 'hidden CD sessions' as a few people have reuqested it via Google (not just for use with AISBackup). I found this while looking for a solution which required no effort at this end.

Even if you restart the backup I would like you to keep the merged CD1 & CD2 for testing. I wiuld also be interested if you can make it go wrong again and the exact steps taken.

Barry.
IanG

Post by IanG »

I think there's a more general problem with my PC! I cleared the backup, ran it, and was prompted for a blank CD. After loading one, I was prompted again! The backups were OK, but now, everytime I exit the modify files and folders / files of type window I get the messsage "The Backup Contents file was damaged and has been repaired"!

I guess an uninstall/reinstall is in order, and I may be able to swap the cd drive - can you suggest anything else I can try?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

ASPI

Post by Barry »

Try switching AISBackup to use the BinaryMagics ASPI drivers using the Tools / Program Settings and Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD Writer Faults option.

Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

Thanks for that - I'll have a play as soon as I get back to my supply of blank CDs.

There's a freeware app called ISOBuster which can read and extract the "hidden" sessions. I copied everything from the CD1 session onto a blank disk (via HD), imported the Backup Contents Files from the CD1 & 2 sessions into a new backup and it all works perfectly!

Ian G.
IanG

Re: ASPI

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:Try switching AISBackup to use the BinaryMagics ASPI drivers using the Tools / Program Settings and Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD Writer Faults option.

Barry
That didn't make any difference - I was still prompted twice for a blank disk. I tried swapping the CD drive and then I only got prompted once. Unfortunately I had to return the drive :(

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

prompt twice

Post by Barry »

Are you saying the problem was resolved by changing the CD writer?

Perhaps there is a known problem with yours which may be fixed by updated firmware. Your MATSHITA UJDA755y drive is using firmware version 1.72 and 1.74 is available:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1834

Please follow the firmware update instructions very carefully to avoid permanent damage to the drive.

There may be other sources of firmware so it may be worth looking around the internet.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Wrong CD

Post by Barry »

Beta build 279 has more checks to try and ensure the wrong CD or DVD is not burned:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Barry
IanG

Re: prompt twice

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:Are you saying the problem was resolved by changing the CD writer?
No - I haven't been able to duplicate the original problem. However, AISBackup behaves differently with the "new" CD writer, so it looks like the drive's at least part of the problem.

Thanks for the info about the firmware - that's great support! I'll see what I can do about upgrading it.

<edit>
I upgraded the firmware (from the IBM support site) and the drive now behaves itself!! Many thanks for your help!!

Ian G.