Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanG

Selecting Files for backup

Post by IanG »

I'd like to run a single backup job which includes
1/ all the files of a specific type
2/ some specific file names, wherever they're found
3/ all the files in a specific folder structure

I'm OK with 1, and 2 looks like it's doable by entering the filename as a file type but I don't know how to do 3. Can anyone help, please?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Files of type backup

Post by Barry »

We allowed individual files to be selected in the Files of Type style backup, but not folders as you must select the folders from which the Files of Type are backed up. I guess we could override the File of Type with a right click / Backup Complete Folder option - this will need its own icon - so send us one :wink:

This change is not likely to make the next release so as a work-around you must create a second job for the complete folders. The jobs can be run in succession by using the Tools / Auto Running AISBackup option, just add both jobs to the auto-run list for either a schedule or desktop icon.

Barry
IanG

Re: Files of type backup

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:We allowed individual files to be selected in the Files of Type style backup, but not folders as you must select the folders from which the Files of Type are backed up. I guess we could override the File of Type with a right click / Backup Complete Folder option - this will need its own icon - so send us one :wink:
Be careful what you wish for! :)
This change is not likely to make the next release so as a work-around you must create a second job for the complete folders. The jobs can be run in succession by using the Tools / Auto Running AISBackup option, just add both jobs to the auto-run list for either a schedule or desktop icon.

Barry

The potential problem with that is I'll end up backing up some (maybe most) of the files twice. Is there a way to avoid that?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Avoiding backing up some files twice

Post by Barry »

If you want to backup all .jpg files on the computer, one file called c:\windows\ Blue Lace 16.bmp and the compete folder C:\Documents and Settings\Ian:

Create a backup job called ‘jpg and 1 bmp’, right click and .jpg and select files of type jpg, select the folder C:\ and the C:\Windows\Blue Lace 16.bmp file. Right click C:\Documents and Settings\Ian and choose Exclude Files and Sub-Folders.

Create another job called ‘Ian’s D and S’ and select C:\Documents and Settings\Ian.

Go to Tools / Auto Running AISBackup, select ‘Choose a job’ ‘jpg and 1 bmp’ and Ian’s D and S, click Create Shortcut, check Create a start-up shortcut and click OK.

Double click the shortcut ‘AISBackup - jpg and 1 bmp Ian's D and S’ to run.

Alternative method if you prefer the .jpg’s in the same job:

Do not exclude C:\Documents and Settings\Ian and in the Ian's D and S click the exclusions tab and add *.jpg to the list of exclusions.

Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

Great - thanks for that! It looks so obvious now that I know :oops:

Ian G.
IanG

Post by IanG »

I created the 2 jobs and their shortcut. Because I want to treat this as a single job, I used the same volume prefix for both jobs. AISB asked for blank disks and used the right numbers for disks 1 & 2, but asked for the 3rd disk to be labeled disk 1 again. Do I have to use different prefixes for both jobs?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Volume names

Post by Barry »

Each job must have its own set of volumes - and if you mix volumes with the same name, you can get into all sorts of trouble with ‘missing zip files’ and ‘the expected files are not in the zip file’ error messages (I've accidentally done it).

If you have a 'direct to disc' packet writing system installed on the PC you may use the same disc for many backups, however, I would recommend the jobs use different folders on the discs.

I think I can see a 'complicated to implement' feature request coming?!

We'll have another look at the 'Backup Complete Folder' override you asked for.

Barry
IanG

Re: Volume names

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:
I think I can see a 'complicated to implement' feature request coming?!

We'll have another look at the 'Backup Complete Folder' override you asked for.
That would be great - thanks!

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Override files of type

Post by Barry »

Beta build 281 (uploaded today) enables one or more folders to be selected from a files of type backup to enable all files in those folders to be backed up. This is achieved by using a new Folder / Right Click option called Backup Everything (Override Types)

Barry
IanG

Re: Override files of type

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:Beta build 281 (uploaded today) enables one or more folders to be selected from a files of type backup to enable all files in those folders to be backed up. This is achieved by using a new Folder / Right Click option called Backup Everything (Override Types)

Barry
Brilliant - it works like a charm! Thanks for that!

Ian G.