Problems with new PC / DVD+RW's

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Problems with new PC / DVD+RW's

Post by Brian E »

I have just had a replacement PC at work, which is running Windows XP Pro, rather than Windows 2000 as before. I sent an order for some DVD-RW's but the supplier sent DVD+RW's instead. Whether this is the reason for my problems I don't know, but the following has happened this morning when I tried to run a backup:-

1) Asked to format the disc before use (is this a feature of +RW discs as I don't have to do this at home where I do use -RW's)?

2) The files were burnt to disc, but after the disc was ejected, a message popped up along the lines of ROXIO - FILES ARE ON DISC WHICH NEED TO BE SAVED BEFORE FORMATTING (I would need to try a rerun and then write down the exact message to be sure what it said). At this point, my computer froze and I couldn't even shut down AIS Backup from the task manager, but had to resort to using the power switch instead.
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

I've located and removed Roxio from my PC and that has solved the problem.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and Roxio

Post by Barry »

AISBackup and Roxio should be able to co-exist, have Roxio got another version?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

No idea about that. I seem to remember trying Roxio at home and not liking it, so I don't know much about it.

What about the formatting issue - is it just a +RW feature that results in my having to preformat the discs I want to use? I don't have to do this with my -RW DVD's at home.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

DVD+RW

Post by Barry »

There was an issue where DVD+RW had to be pre-formatted before they could be used with AISBackup. I thought that this problem had been resolved and AISBackup could write directly to them (using the integrated writer). I'll have to order some more blanks to test this because once formatted they always work okay in the erase / re-use cycle.

Barry
IanA

Formatting +RWs

Post by IanA »

I'm having similar problems - any resolutions yet?

I am experimenting with running jobs direct to DVD, previously I've simply copied backups to disc using Nero and I don't have Roxio installed.

I've had lots of problems...

AISBackup forces me to format all DVD's before backing up (I'm only using +RWs) and this takes 20 minutes each.

Thought I could get around this by copying a file to a blank DVD using Nero which would format it automatically in about 10 seconds. I then used this DVD in AISBackup and was given the option to erase the DVD before use and that only took 10 seconds. All seemed to work OK but subsequent updates failed as AISBackup demanded that the DVD be formatted (or Abort!).

I decided that AISBackup probably didn't like DVDs it hadn't fully formatted itself, so I went to the trouble of formatting a batch of DVDs using AISBackup (at 20 mins each), then ran a backup that spans 2 of them, then added to the backup and it added to the DVDs and became a set of 4 - no problems.

However, I have just created a small test job with one file of <500kb. It appeared to work OK (DVD had been fully formatted by AISBackup). I then modified the file to force a backup and ran the job again. It asked for DVD094A01 and recognised that DVD094A01 was in the drive, but says "The loaded DVD+RW must be formatted before use". The only options are Format or Abort! - So this is the same senario as the other DVD I formatted using Nero. Repeated this test to be sure it wasn't the DVD and the same thing happened again. Could it be something to do with very small amounts of data on the DVD?!!!

I'm now worried that my 4 DVD set will be rejected at some future date and don't know whether to continue with it or go back to my old system for the time being.

This experimenting has been going on over the past few days and I've had 3 occassions when I've had to power off/on due to system hanging during DVD activities. One of the crashes happened whilst creating the 4th DVD in my 4 DVD set - at that time I simply removed the failed backup session and was happy enough when the job was rerun and it picked up from where it left off and worked OK.

I also peformed 2 test restores of 2 complete drives from the 4 DVD set - All files and folders were correctly restored but on both occasions there were addition empty folders. e.g. in addition to Ians Documents there was also Iansdo~1. This occured at least 4 times for one restore and don't know how many times for the other. I've never had that before on any restore I've done.

I think it's time I had a break from all this!

Cheers

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

DVD+RW

Post by Barry »

The folder problem is fixed in the latest beta, the additional folders were created when re-creating long folder names with their correct short name. These temporary folders should have been deleted.

The DVD+RW problem is been worked on now.

Formatting with INCD is not the same as AISBackup formatting the disc, however I was sure that formatting was no longer required on the current version of our DVD burner.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Tue May 30, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanA

Further info...

Post by IanA »

I've just remembered...

On one occasion AISBackup asked for the previous DVD and said the DVD was the correct name but the wrong DVD! I selected the extra option of "use this DVD anyway" and it worked OK.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

DVD+RW

Post by Barry »

A few issues with DVD+RW have been fixed with beta 279:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Barry