Why is every backup of a huge file "huge?"

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jlittle

Why is every backup of a huge file "huge?"

Post by jlittle »

Hi, Barry.
I'm using 2.0.0.236, on WinXP SP2, backing up to a different physical drive (local drive). I run session-based backups every 2 days, saving all sessions.
My email file (Thunderbird inbox) is a huge file, it's true, but it doesn't seem like there would be huge amount of new data every backup. (There's not that much new mail from one backup session to the next. ) So I'm confused as to why it shows to be backing up 2 segments of a huge file every time. (Seems like it would just be adding on a small amount of new data to an already huge file.)

Thanks
John
Barry
Site Admin

Huge file size

Post by Barry »

AISBackup cannot backup part of a file because we cannot assume the only changes are to the end of a file, this is especially true of large database files which store new data all over the place.

The latest version of AISBackup (2.2) defaults to a larger file size before a file is deemed huge. For existing jobs the settings must be changed manually using:

Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / Huge File Size (increase from 100MB).

Barry
jlittle

Post by jlittle »

Oooooh, yeah! (Imagine a picture of me smacking myself in the forehead with my hand.) Individual emails are not individual files!
Sorry about that.

Thanks
John