Confused by in-use files during full system restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanA

Confused by in-use files during full system restore

Post by IanA »

Re-organising my disks and thought I'd use the opportunity to try a full system restore - since I've luckily never had to.

Performed once yesterday to an empty drive and 3 files failed - "media error". I restored the 3 files again and everything worked perfectly - totally excellent!!

Tried the exact same restore to a different empty drive today and 2 different files failed - "media error".

Rebooted as requested and I got : "Windows cannot find: C:\AISRSTR\AISBRSTR.EXE but booted OK.

When I tried to restore these files again, one was successful but for the second I got the message:

Restore in-use file:

F:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\Sp2.cab

The PC must be re-booted to complete the restore of protected and in-use files

YES, NO, ALL, NONE

At the time, I found the message a bit confusing - but having read it a few times I presume it means I have to re-boot the PC after selecting the YES option?

Thought YES was a good bet - and file appears to be OK but AISBackup log makes no reference to it being restored! It simply reports the media error and says 1 file could not be restored.

I don't understand why it was flagged as in-use in the first place or why I have to re-boot after restoring it. I had re-booted before the attempt to restore this file and the 'restored' system is on a spare drive and is not in use.

I think everything is probably working OK but I'm a bit confused by it all and would appreciate some enlightenment. :?

I'm back on version 271 now with Windows XP SP2.

Thanks,

Ian

Also...
Yesterday when restoring, AISBackup persuaded me to abort because I should have chosen a specific date. It then returned me to the main screen with only Tools and Help enabled and all other buttons and menus disabled. Easily rectified by exiting and re-starting AISBackup but thought you would like to know.
Barry
Site Admin

In-use files - or maybe not......

Post by Barry »

The obvious:

AISBackup must restore in-use files to a temporary folder and then re-boot to complete the restore.

The not so obvious:

Protected system files are not in-use, but Windows would complain if the file was replaced and it would replace the restored file itself if it could. AISBackup has to follow Microsoft’s rules to restore these files.

The media error seems to be random? Is the media a CD or DVD? If so is there an update to the firmware available for the writer? I would copy the media just in case you get a total failure.

"Windows cannot find: C:\AISRSTR\AISBRSTR.EXE"

AISBackup does not always need AISBRSTR to complete a restore, but the entry is already in the Registry for Windows to run it - Windows 95, 98 & ME used to keep quiet about the missing program - Windows XP throws the error - shame. AISBackup no longer adds AISBRSTR to the registry during a backup because some anti-ad-ware programs complain when programs are added to the RunOnce section, so I will look into only adding it if needed.

There is a limited release of build 274 which fixes the auto-run problem (amongst other things):

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/build274/aisbi274.exe

Barry
IanA

Post by IanA »

Thanks for the support Barry - much appreciated!

Ian