VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_SNAPSHOTS_REACHED

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
k64

Post by k64 »

I have recently encountered a couple of errors for the first time. These are the EXCEPTION and ERRNS lines shown in these two log extracts:

06:29:05 INF Backing up 2 Exclusively Opened Files
06:29:07 EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_SNAPSHOTS_REACHED
06:29:07 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup

06:29:07 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst File System Not Supported
06:29:07 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\FileTracker\{88DDA8FD-0147-41CA-85F6-CBBC2CCF5BBE} File System Not Supported

06:30:46 INF Backing up 3 Exclusively Opened Files
06:30:49 EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_SNAPSHOTS_REACHED
06:30:49 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup

06:30:50 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\MSBusinessContactManager.mdf File System Not Supported
06:30:50 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\MSBusinessContactManager.ldf File System Not Supported
06:30:50 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\FileTracker\{1899F2E0-2C4A-4C51-AD7E-2B15F61F8550} File System Not Supported

What is causing this, how can I avoid it and why is "file system not supported" shown?

Many thanks.

AISBackup 2.2.0.271
Backup source: C:\Documents and Settings\ (some files & folders omitted)
Backup to: E:\k64-laptop\Docs-Setts\DOCS_C.zip (local hard drive)
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

VSS

Post by Barry »

The last time VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_SNAPSHOTS_REACHED was encountered here a re-boot fixed the problem. I must admit at the time VSS was been tested and AISBackup terminated while VSS was initialised (a bad move) - hence the Maximum Number Reached message. This is a message from VSS which is a Microsoft product, I will attempt to get some more information for you (and us, for that matter).

File System Not Supported: Should not be the error message, this will be changed to something more appropriate. The message is left over from when AISBackup could not backup opened exclusive files.

Please conform that you have at least one NTFS drive on the PC, and if a re-boot fixed the problem.

Barry
k64

Post by k64 »

Thanks, Barry. Yes, I can confirm that all my drive partitions are NTFS. However, I booted the system yesterday but this morning's backup still shows an error:

06:30:05 INF Backing up 1 Exclusively Opened File
06:30:09 EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_SNAPSHOTS_REACHED
06:30:09 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup

06:30:09 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\FileTracker\{6B36BA3C-0E6F-41EA-BF19-DE281C16807A} File System Not Supported
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Have any backups actually worked when backing up opened exclusive files using VSS?

The Windows Defender file backs up with VSS okay here, however, File Access Manager cannot backup this file for some reason either. Since writing this reply the problem has been found: FAM was not in error AISBackup was not setting an internal 'switch' correctly.

I can safely say that this Windows Defender file is not required and can be excluded from the backup, in fact I recommend excluding the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Keith\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\FileTracker\ (right click Exclude Files and Sub Folders) until the problem with VSS can be resolved.

Have you got any other applications running on the PC that are using VSS? For example, any other backup programs running in the background?

File Access Manager seems a lot more robust than Microsoft's VSS and provides access to networked PC's and is the only solution of backing up opened exclusive files under Windows NT4, 2000 and Server 2000.

Barry
k64

Post by k64 »

Backups occasionally failed, but I don't remember a VSS message before this month.

I have now excluded the Windows Defender file as recommended.

Yes, I have SyncBackSE from 2BrightSparks which also uses VSS. This is scheduled to run before AISBackup.
Many regards

Keith