Media or zip corruption

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian

Media or zip corruption

Post by Brian »

What happens if for some reason a archive/DVD is corrupted?
Can it be skipped so that at least some data can be retrieved from the
backups?
Barry
Site Admin

Corrupt Media

Post by Barry »

I took out a screwdriver and damaged a backup CD to re-test (and remember) what happens during a restore.

For the backup zip files which could not be opened at all: AISBackup displays Error 101 but did not list the files in which could not be restored. Perhaps AISBackup should not stop at this point but just display the files not restored?

For backup zip files which could be opened, but the data is corrupt: AISBackup displays a list of files which could not be restored.

If you get a partially damaged disc, the best thing to do is run the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option and let AISBackup remove the damaged files from the backup contents files, the files which still exist on the PC will then be re-selected for backup next time.

Barry
Brian

Post by Brian »

Great! So AIS doesn't just stop/crash when it can't read/unpack a file/disc.
That's better than the backup tool I'm using right now.
I think AIS should never stop when a restore error is encountered.
Restoring 80% is better than 0% :lol:
This can be made as complex as you want.
I'm thinking of the following solution.
A full backup takes 20 DVDs.
Several backups/generations/sessions are made.
HD crash and a restore is needed.
Start restore from latest backup.
DVD 8 is damaged and/or contains damaged zips.
Just log the files that couldn't be restored and continue.
When restore is complete offer the user to restore the files from a diffrent backup. Maybe the files are slightly older on that backup but better than nothing at all.
As a side note I think it's not wise to endlessly keep adding files to a backupset.
At some point in time I want to create a new 20 DVD set.
That way I have totally independant backups.

BTW I'm running a demo version of your product. I want learn as much as possible within 30 days.
I had enough products that looked good at start but failed when it gets hard. (damaged media etc)
I can say the to-the-poit replies I got from you certainly push me to the buying point :!:
Barry
Site Admin

Backup to DVD and other options

Post by Barry »

You are correct when you say that you should have multiple backup sets, also consider a FireWire or USB external drive option - these can be more reliable than optical media.

I also recommend that you purchase a disk and USB caddy separately as removing the disk from a commercial USB drive will invalidate the guarantee - at least it does with Maxtor. The reason I say this is that you may be interested in creating a ready-to-go backup of Windows:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/USBDR1.htm

Another thing worth considering is setting up a Windows XP bootable DVD with AISBackup as a plug-in:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/XPESB.htm

Barry