Backing up in-use files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Backing up in-use files

Post by Brian E »

I use a program called Check and Get from www.activeurls.com. I have added the bookmarks file to an AIS Backup job, but it won't back up unless I close Check and Get. Is there any way round this?
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Backup opened exclusive files

Post by Barry »

As I understand you are running Windows 2000, I say this because under Windows XP AISBackup uses the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service to backup opened exclusive files.

Coming soon:

We are negotiating an AISBackup version of VisionWorks File Access Manager (FAM). You may download a trial version of the full product from them:

http://www.vwsolutions.com/productInfor ... roductId=3

We expect the AISBackup version to cost around $17.50 USD or £9.99 (plus VAT) per PC.

This product will also allow 100% backup of a PC over the network if the remote PC is running FAM.

Barry

PS

I cannot get your auto-run job to go wrong yet??!! I am Still looking at this problem.
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2 at home, which is where I have the Check & Get problem. I have sorted the other problem by re-installing AIS Backup (the problem happened first at work [which does use Windows 2000) and then I noticed that my autorunning backups had stopped working at home as well. A re-install seems to have solved the problem at home as well.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Backup opened exclusive files

Post by Barry »

AISBackup can backup Opened Exclusive files under Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, AISBackup uses Microsoft's Volume Copy Shadow Service (VSS).

To backup opened exclusive files using VSS the following conditions must be true:

1: AISBackup must be set to backup opened exclusive files: Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / Check Backup Opened Exclusive Files.

2: There must be at least one NTFS formatted drive on the PC. A FAT32 drive can be converted to NTFS. Start / Run / type CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs / OK

3: The operating system must be in good working order in the area of VSS, i.e. check the Microsoft Event logs for any errors Right Click My Computer / Manage / Event Viewer and examine each log using Microsoft's online fault resolution resource :twisted: to fix each problem.

Barry