FTP download and other quirky behavior

Post by DnlPbl »

AISBackup Ver: 2.1.0.250

Windows:
XP Pro
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Backup To: Local Drive Copy to FTP Server:
Backup Destination: C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Backups\Data-Remote.zip

1) I tried a test restore, to make sure it worked as expected. In the end I was able to exactly duplicate the targeted state of the data, but along the way there was some troubling behavior:

1A) I choose "Open job from FTP Server". When I select the rellevant job from the "FTP Select backup job" window I sometimes get the message: "The backup job is incomplete".
If I try again even right afterwards, it works fine. It still concerns me.

1B) When dowloading the batch of zip files the job very often chokes on one or more of the files just as it starts to download that file.
It returns the message:
"Extract failed: If the problem persists please report"
"bug: Restore error 101"
I check the temp directory and I see the file(s) it failed on, but with a size of 0k.

1C) Another error I sometimes get right after the job downloads/tries to download a zip file is a message saying that it can't locate the file on the hard drive.
The option is given to locate it on the hard drive. That's cool, but could an option be included to redownload it from the server?
Any ideas on why this occurs or how to avoid it?

2) The job is named "data - remote". Naturally, the backup contents are put in a folder of the same name on the FTP server.
But twice I've seen that another folder was automatically created named "data-remote". The same name, just without spaces.
Ther first time this happened, the job put backup data in this new folder. I deleted all the ftp content and reuploaded all the data.
It recently happened again, but the new folder is empty. Any reason why this occurs? Is it ok to just delete this seemingly extraneous folder?

Thanx
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problems

Post by Barry »

The FTP interface has been re-written in version 2.2, this was mainly to solve a problem with possible hanging of AISBackup, but many of the faults you mention should have been resolved. If possible please try duplicating the errors you mention using the beta version:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Many of the faults you mention were to do with AISBackup losing track of which remote folder it was in (FTP timeouts could cause AISBackup to return to the root folder). This incorrect behaviour could cause the problems you mention, including the removal of spaces in file and folder names.

Which FTP server software are you using?

Barry
DnlPbl

Post by DnlPbl »

I'll give it a try with the 2.2 beta. It'll install right over my current version, right?
No ETA on its' official release?

For general FTP purposes, I use Internet Explorer, if that's what you mean.

Thanx
Barry
Site Admin

FTP

Post by Barry »

You may install AISBackup over the top or in another folder, the beta and live version are compatible in that they are interchangeable and can both use the same jobs. Extra information saved in the job file for the beta version is not used in version 2.1 and will be re-created when you run version 2.2 - these are mainly changes to do with the ability to backup NTFS opened exclusive files with version 2.2 (so you may choose to run with 2.2 anyway).

I mean the FTP server software used at the destination of the backup. If this is provided by your ISP you may not know. Some users of AISBackup set-up their own, e.g. MS IIS FTP, Linux ftp, Cuteftp, Serv-u.

Barry