Backup hangs - why ?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
rmhodgson

Backup hangs - why ?

Post by rmhodgson »

Just down loaded AISbackup 2.1 and installed onto Dell Dimension 4500S
running Windows XP Home edition with SP2 and all subsequent priority patches applied.

Backing up to internal Dell CD-RW drive.

If I opt to use Direct CD (supplied by Roxio as part of OEM Dell delivery in Easy CD Creator 5) everything works fine until 1st ZIP file is written but then hangs instead of proceeding to do checking. Its a hard stop - cannot kill the task and in the end have to (literally) pull the plug !

Works OK if backup all fits within one ZIP file but not is backup is larger than that.

If I use your inbuilt CD writer the everything works fine ( but I would prefer to stay with Direct CD as disk space for staging might become a problem at some point).

Any ideas ?

I am a long term user on my laptop (Win ME) and want to get this going too on my Dell desktop. Will request the key once I get things running OK

Rgds
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and Packet Writing

Post by Barry »

Packet writing systems like DirectCD are integrated into the operating system. AISBackup uses Windows standard routines to write data to these files, basically AISBackup writes files to a DirectCD CD as it would to any regular disk or network drive.

Often upgrades to Windows can upset old versions of packet writing systems so it may be worth checking the Roxio site for an Windows XP upgrade for Easy CD creator version 5.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/so ... v5_2.jhtml

Barry
rmhodgson

Thanks for the response

Post by rmhodgson »

Your suggestion sounds so plausible it must be correct.

However, as everything does work fine using your own CD writer I think I will stay with that for the time being - if it ain't broke don't fix it !

Getting XP up to SP2 plus all subseqeunt patches was fraught enough and I don't want to upset my apple cart now.

If I get any other Direct CD issues I will download the roxio stuff then.

Many thanks for your help - and for access to such an excellent piece of software

Rgds
Roger