Backup does not autostart

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
stevem

Backup does not autostart

Post by stevem »

I have created an autostart but the backups will not run. The status in the task scheduler is "Could not start". I even created a shortcut from the autotask screen and tried to execute that from the task scheduler but it also will not run. I can run the program manually and everything runs fine.

I'm running version 2.0.0.238.

What's the deal?
Barry
Site Admin

Auto running AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Hi

The log should indicate why the job did not start, here are a few tips and changes that are in the beta version:

Up to version 2.1 of AISBackup a password protected username is required when setting up an auto run job. XP SP2 exposes a new check box which allows the logged on account to run a scheduled job submitted without a password, this is discussed in this forum reply I gave a few weeks ago (more after the quote):
I was lead to believe that it was not possible to execute a job under Windows XP without a valid password, this is why AISBackup insisted on a password protected account to run under.

A User of AISBackup, Bart Kamminga, then told us that we may be able to use the old NT4 ‘AT’ jobs, this works fine, except the job runs under the SYSTEM account and is not really suitable for accessing network drives, and as we found out, the AISBackup parameters may not get set-up correctly.

I have done some research and found out that the “Run only if logged in” parameter only appeared on the GUI version of the Task Schedule Properties after Windows XP SP2. However, the internal parameter that this sets has always been in the API. The next version of AISBackup will discard the AT option (which can lead to error) in favour of the option not to submit a password, where the job will only run if that user is logged in (the user account does not have to be active, i.e. switch user may still be used). This has been tested (so far) on Windows XP with no SP, SP1 and SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4 and works okay. If only we knew this a few years ago…….

Jon’s solution of running AISBackup on a non-password protected account by checking “Run only if logged in” is therefore the best solution as far as we can see, and is the way AISBackup will work in the future – Unless feedback tells us different.
Another problem we identified was with PC's with a different 'displayed' and 'actual' user account name; this may be the problem you are having. This has been noticed with HP (Compaq) computers. Version 2.1 of AISBackup allows the account name to be selected, which then automatically uses the correct setting.

If you are running XP SP2 you can manually check the Run only if logged on option.

The beta version of AISBackup allows backup jobs to be submitted without password:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

The current live version (2.1) of AISBackup enables selection of the User account name:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

If this does not fix the problem please e-mail us your MS Task Scheduler log so that we can give a more informed answer.

Barry
stevem

Post by stevem »

I download and installed version 2.1 and it still will not autostart.

I am running this on 2000 Server, not XP.

I checked the AIS logs and there is nothing showing an attempt to run. The same with the Scheduled tasks logs.

If I try to run the job as "AT" it gives a status of "Could not start". If I delete the job from the scheduler and add it again as a regular job, the next run time changes to the next day after scheduled run, but the Last run time say's "Never".

I'm really getting frustrated. I don't have the time to babysit this and would really like to get to the bottom of this. Is there an email address I can contact someone at during business hours USA Eastern Standard Time? Waiting for responses on this board is painful.
Barry
Site Admin

Auto Run Options

Post by Barry »

The Beta version (2.1.1) allows jobs to be submitted without a password and is the option recommended for non-password protected accounts under Windows 2000. If the account name is not password protected when using version 2.1 then the job will not start. The fault is most likely with the Scheduler set-up and not AISBackup itself. AT jobs will be phased out from version 2.1.1 because they run under account SYSTEM which can be problematic. I am starting an email conversation with Steve about this.

Barry