Backup failed

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
gfinney

Backup failed

Post by gfinney »

After 3.5 hours backing up my WinXP laptop drive to a USB drive, I get the following message:

31 Files could not be backed up
111810 Files could not be restored when tested
A full restore using this session may not be safe

The backup drive is empty and is new. Is there anywhere I can look to find out more info on the reason for the failure? The AIS log files were no help.

I planned to use AIS for backing up two Win2003 Servers as well, but if I can't resolve the XP backup, then I'll have to try other products instead. From what I've read here, users seem pleased with the results, so I'd like to get it working.
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup to USB drive

Post by Barry »

I assume you mean a USB disk drive? Some older PC’s and laptop’s may require updated drivers for USB drives, but to be fair these should have come with the USB external drive itself (or caddy).

AISBackup does not do anything special when writing to a USB drive and uses the standard ‘Windows way of doing it’ (CreateFile, WriteFile and CloseHandle). Please try copying files directly from Windows Explorer to the USB drive. If this does not work, i.e. the drive is still empty, try re-formatting the drive using this method:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/Formatting.htm

If the disk can be copied to using Windows explorer please send the backup job parameters via the Help / Bug Report option, this should help us give a more informed answer.

Actually, to be fair, I wonder why AISBackup did not receive an error from the Operating system when writing these files.

The current version of AISBackup (5 September 2005) is 2.1, if you are not using the latest version it may be worth updating before you re-try the backup.

Barry