loop in disk closing

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
ourem

loop in disk closing

Post by ourem »

I've been using this program off and on for a few years now. Though it used to work fine with my zip drive, I have almost always had trouble saving to a rewriteable CD. In fact, there is no program that locks up my computer as much as this one. The most recent problem is that the first back up to a CD runs perfectly. Then the second time I try to do an incremental or session backup, it seems to go into a loop in the last phase ("read out" or something of the sort). The status bar goes across, then starts over again, with the time indicator increasing continuously. I finally have to force the program closed and inevitably have to shut down my computer by holding the on/off button down for 4 seconds - nothing else works.

The strange part is that, upon restarting the computer, the newly saved files are perfectly intact. That's great, but does nothing for the problem of my computer hanging. This happens whether I use the internal CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive on this Toshiba laptop, or use an external Iomega (Lite-on) DVD+-RW.
Barry
Site Admin

CD leadout hanging?

Post by Barry »

Which version of AISBackup and Windows are you using? There can be problems with an interface called ASPI and AISBackup provides an option to search the PC for alternative ASPI drivers using the Tools / Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD Problems.

If you have not done already try upgrading to version 2.1 of AISBackup.

This page on our web-site may help:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/FAQASPI.htm

Barry
ourem

Post by ourem »

I was using the version just prior to 2.1. I downloaded 2.1 today, installed and tested - no change. I checked the information on the ASPI driver, but actually I am already using the built-in disk writer. I could go to using the other one installed on my computer, but it kind of defeats my purpose in having this program if I have to baby it through every step of a backup. I did check to see what ASPI driver I'm using, but it was in fact the one supplied with the program.
Barry
Site Admin

Hanging when closing CD

Post by Barry »

Which version of Windows and Service Pack are you using? Did you do a 'search' for ASPI? You mentioned a third party CD writing program, which is it and version number? (Nero, Roxio etc).

Please confirm that the fault is only when adding data to pre-used CD's.

Have you tried CD-R?

It may also be worth checking that the Firmware is up to date on both of the disc writers.

All our tests with internal and external CD writers work okay here.

Is it possible for you to try the external drive with AISBackup on another PC?

Barry
ourem

Post by ourem »

Which version of Windows and Service Pack are you using?

SP2

Did you do a 'search' for ASPI?
Yes, I'm using yours

You mentioned a third party CD writing program, which is it and version number? (Nero, Roxio etc).

I'm not sure. I think it's one that Iomega wrote, or possibly Drag'nDrop. I'm not using it in any event

Please confirm that the fault is only when adding data to pre-used CD's.

Have you tried CD-R?
That would kind of defeat my purpose in this case. I'm not interested in writing to CD-R's.

It may also be worth checking that the Firmware is up to date on both of the disc writers.

"been there, done that"

All our tests with internal and external CD writers work okay here.

Is it possible for you to try the external drive with AISBackup on another PC?

Regarding the unanswered questions above, 10 years ago I would have tried it all. Anymore I don't have the patience or time to track these things down. I don't doubt the problem is something specific to my computer, but I'd rather switch programs than spend more time on this than I already have over the last few years (sometimes the problem has been different, but the result the same: a hung computer).

Thanks for trying. Good luck.