Errors in backup - advice needed

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jstanton

Errors in backup - advice needed

Post by jstanton »

Hi there

We've been using your excellent software for a Windows 2003 Web server
for about 9 months without a hitch. Last night's backup has suddenly
shown 3 files that errored. Can you shed any light on this for me?

03:11:02 ERR Failed to backup: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Microsoft\CLR Security
Config\v1.1.4322\security.config.cch.2704.253213581
03:11:27 ERR Failed to backup: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\enterprisesec.config.cch.2704.253213581
03:11:27 ERR Failed to backup: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\security.config.cch.2704.253213581

It's said that the session may be unsafe to restore so I'm naturally
keen to fix the problem and get a working backup again.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Files not backed up

Post by Barry »

These files have not been backed up because they are opened exclusively by another process. I have done dome research and found a number of posts on the internet like this:
They are the security resolution cache file. If you delete them, your application will run a little bit slower initially because security system
can't use the cache to resolve security demand. Later security system will
re-generate those cache.
The files could be excluded from the backup but I have read that the number is random. AISBackup can exclude files based on fuzzy matching like this:

security.config.cch.2704.*

but not like this:

security.config.cch.* which may be more appropriate.

So it looks like we need to modify the AISBackup.

I you would prefer to backup these and all opened exclusive files there is a product that enables this, see here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/thirdparty.htm

This page also has another third party program which may interest XP and Server 2003 support personnel.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Thanks Barry. I was just typing that I'd managed to find much the same answers through Google searching when you replied!

I would basically like to not backup these files then. There is obviously a site on the server which is now using the .net framework (must be the first one that is) which is why this hasn't occurred before.

Your idea for excluding them is ideal, although as you say we can't exclude them all. If you can add this feature to AIS Backup that would be excellent.

In the meantime I'll take a look at the third party programs you suggest.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Jon
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Hi again Barry

I've just had a look at File Access Manager and their Server License is $300! Considering I don't actually want to backup these files it seems a rather expensive solution.

Would adding the feature to AIS Backup to exclude all these be feasible?

In the meantime, if I just ignore these errored files, will there be any consequence on the rest of the backup?

Thanks again

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Missing files

Post by Barry »

There will not be a problem with the rest of the backup.

I do not know how random the .net numbers are. I guess they are based on some logical scheme, so you could try excluding security.config.cch.2704.* for now (plus the other file). The fuzzy matching of excluded filenames will be improved in light of this problem.

File Access manager may seem better value if we charge $300 for AISBackup 8)

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Hi Barry

You're absolutely right about the price. We're likely to be purchasing more licenses once we have our backup methods decided upon so that will help bring it more in line. But even so, as I don't want these files backed up, paying that kind of money just to enable to be backed up doesn't make good sense.

Improving the fuzzy file matching to solve this is a much better solution and we would be willing to pay for it (but not $300!!!). I'll try excluding 2704 as you suggest for now anyway.

Thanks again

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Excluding files

Post by Barry »

Hi Jon

I have just found that AISBackup can exclude these files using fuzzy matching:

enterprisesec.config.cch.*.*

and

security.config.cch.*.*

or

*.config.cch.*.* or even *cch*.* but this may exclude too many files.

to exclude both the enterprisesec and security with one parameter.

Set them up under the Exclusions tab then click the Files tab to see if the correct files have been excluded.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Excellent, I'll give it a try now. I did have a thought about multiple wildcards but figured it wasn't possible.

I'll get back to you with the results.

Cheers again

Jon
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Hi Barry

I've entered those exclusions and the files list now has crosses next to those files so it's looking perfect.

Presumerably when the backup is next run (tonight) it will attempt those files again if they weren't now excluded? So if they are not backed up then I should get a successful report? I'm just wondering if they wouldn't be attempted again so I'd get a successful report anyway? I'm fairly sure this isn't the case. Could you please confirm this?

Thanks for your fantastically fast response to this.

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Exclusions

Post by Barry »

AISBackup does not attempt to backup exclusions, so you will not get an error message for these files. I think this is why some users prefer to have the errors listed in the log (that is why we say the backup 'may not' be safe, because in your case the backup is okay without the cch files - even though AISBackup flags them as errors).

It may be worth printing the View / View Job Properties so that a record is kept of what is (and is not) actually been backed up.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Thanks Barry.

So if I hadn't put them into the excludes list it would have attempted them again tonight, and the next night, etc. and reported the errors each time? This is how I understand it to work.

Just after your confirmation really.

Thanks again

Jon