can no longer find the file I ned to restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
mikeb

can no longer find the file I ned to restore

Post by mikeb »

I had a file that was in the backup. I was able to restore it once. But a couple of days later I again need to restore the same file only to find that it is no longer there. Why? Does AIS delete the file out of the backup if the original file no longer resides on the original drive? If so can I shut this off? Is there a way to get this file back?

Thanks
mike
Barry
Site Admin

File Deleted from Backup

Post by Barry »

Hi Mike

There are two methods of backup:

1. Session Based
2. Generation Based

If you retain ALL Sessions / Generations they behave the same and no files are deleted from the backup at all (Unless you re-use a CD or physically delete one or more zip files from the backup destination).

If you are retaining ALL files keep the script as Session based as it offers the ability to restore back to a particluar date.

If you limit the number retained to say 3 then this is how AISBackup removes the files:
  • 1/ Session Based: Files that no longer exist on the PC after 3 backups are removed (the files are phased out) - if this is a CD based backup the files are not physically removed but they are removed from the Backup Contents File.

2/ Generation Based: Each time a file is backed up version -4 is removed from the Backup Contents File, on CD based backups they are physically still on the backup. If a file is deleted from the PC up to 3 versions of the file remain on the backup.
If the backup was made to CD/DVD you can get them back by:

1/ Change the number of sessions retained to ALL.

2/ see this web page (optionally uncheck Test read the backup files )

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/validation.htm

Generally when you are going to limit the number of files retained (to save disk space) System type backups should be session based and 'Document' style backups should be generation based (as this keeps deleted files).

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Although this clears it up , unfortunatly that means the file is gone.. deleted from the back up. Bummer.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

as always thanks again for your unsurpassed and prompt support. I reccomend AIS backup to everyone!

mike