Unable to access previous sessions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
rickyardley

Unable to access previous sessions

Post by rickyardley »

Hi Barry,

The lady who does the afternoon backup reported that today the backup session took much longer than usual.
We have been using one removable disk for each day of the week since February, checking each session after each day's backup.
On checking todays session I have found that all previous sessions have dissappeared, leaving a new full backup occupying 6 zip files numbered 25 to 30.
If I check the removable disk with Windows Explorer zip files 1 to 24 are still present, dated from February through to yesterday.
Is there any way I can now access this old information?
The only other information I can glean is that the Desktop Daily Backup icon was almost certainly double clicked without a removable disk in the drive by accident before the backup was carried out succesfully.

Many thanks,

Rick Yardley.

ver.2.0.0.236
MS Win 98
Iomega Internal 250Mb ZIP drive.
Barry
Site Admin

Recovering Lost Sessions

Post by Barry »

This option works when a backup has been re-set, but not deleted, and a new backup made.

The process for re-instating existing files into a backup may not work perfectly when there are ‘new’ zip files to merge in, but at least it does give you access to all the files again. We are looking to improve this in version 2.1, although this needs some more work.

Your backup has a few known files making up the backup now, and unknown zip files, all the previous backup sessions.

If you have a backup of the ‘Backup Contents File’ <file name>.bdb prior to the problem then the safest way to fix the problem is to restore that and manually remove the newly created zip files.

If this is not possible use the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option and move the Orphans to their original drive (This may be C:). The files are orphans in all the zip files that are no longer known to AISBackup because the zip file format does not store the drive letter.

Barry
rickyardley

Post by rickyardley »

Many thanks Barry, I will give it a try.

Regards,

Rick.