Scheduled backup - Win2003 Server

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jstanton

Scheduled backup - Win2003 Server

Post by jstanton »

I have AISBackup running nicely on a Win2003 Std Server which is a web server. It backs everything up and FTP's to another server.

I've setup a scheduled task through AISBackup to run at 3am daily and send an email log to me. I've noticed that it seems to only run either every other day (run Mon, skip Tues, run Wed, etc.) or sometimes skip two days. I have to RDC to the server and run it manually.

Is there anything I can check? I'm running the latest version of AISBackup and don't yet have SP1 installed for Win2003 Std.

Finally, when I setup the backup initially I had it backup the entire drive. Some files were skipped due to being SQL files in use by a Windows Service. I then told AISBackup to stop the service at the start and resume it afterwards and these files were then backed up. Is it safe to say that everything is now backing up correctly and should a complete hard drive failure occur I can quickly get up and running again?

I have used a program called Drive Snapshot to image the drive with the fresh Windows install so would use this to get up and running again before using AISBackup to restore the latest files.

Is this a good plan?

Thanks for an excellent product at a fantastic price.

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Server 2003 Backup / Restore

Post by Barry »

Hi
I've setup a scheduled task through AISBackup to run at 3am daily and send an email log to me. I've noticed that it seems to only run either every other day (run Mon, skip Tues, run Wed, etc.) or sometimes skip two days. I have to RDC to the server and run it manually.
You could try looking at the task directly via Tools / Show MS Task Scheduler or look at the MS Task Scheduler log file via View / View MS Task Scheduler Log. Also check that some of the ‘Days’ have not been de-selected on the Tools / Auto Running AISBackup option, each auto-run job should be selected in turn as they can have different parameters.

Finally, when I setup the backup initially I had it backup the entire drive. Some files were skipped due to being SQL files in use by a Windows Service. I then told AISBackup to stop the service at the start and resume it afterwards and these files were then backed up. Is it safe to say that everything is now backing up correctly and should a complete hard drive failure occur I can quickly get up and running again?
Yes, I would advise that you try a test restore to another disk so that you can familiarise yourself with the process before you need to do it for real. There does seem to be a problem with restoring MS DTC but this is easily corrected, hint: Search this forum for MS DTC.
I have used a program called Drive Snapshot to image the drive with the fresh Windows install so would use this to get up and running again before using AISBackup to restore the latest files.
This plan is okay, but AISBackup could be used to make a ready to go backup using this option:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/USBDR1.htm

Whichever method you use I would advise that you test it prior to having to do a disaster recovery for real.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Hi Barry

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at the logs. I have already gone into Task Scheduler and modified it to try and fix it and other tasks run nightly without problems. I'll see what the logs reveal.

Thanks for your advise regarding distaster recovery. I'll see if the data centre where the servers are are willing to restore a backup to another server to check it works OK. Your suggestion to properly test it first is obviously a good one.

I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best

Jon
Barry
Site Admin

Testing AISBackup Server 2003 Restore.

Post by Barry »

Actually, when using Server 2003, the restore should to be another disk, which is then put in the server that has been backed up, otherwise the server will fail the Microsoft key check.

Users of Server 2000 can try the restore to any similar PC.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Ooh, that's an interesting point about the key check. I was scheduling a restore to a different server but this will obviously not work. What would happen when the image was restored then?

The server is a 'live' web server so can't be taken offline and have a drive swapped which does concern me a little. Can you suggest any ways around this? Otherwise I will just have to assume the backup is good and worry about it when it's needed :x
Barry
Site Admin

Registration Check

Post by Barry »

I assume the web-server will ask to contact Microsoft to generate a new activation key. As you are testing disaster recovery perhaps Microsoft will give you the key over the telephone. After all, if this was a real disaster situation you will have to transfer the license to a new machine.

I do not know what Microsoft's policy is here. I do know that automated activation failed here once, but manual activation over the telephone was okay - The PC had a new Motherboard, Processor, CD Writer, RAM - The box and power supply were the same, but it was basically it was a new PC.

Barry
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Brilliant, I'll speak to a technician next week and we'll try to do that.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Jon
jstanton

Post by jstanton »

Just to follow up your first reply, here's what's in the MS Schedular log:

"AISBACKUP - Server2 Backup.job" (AISBACKUP.exe) 28/04/2005 03:01:21 ** WARNING **
The task was forced to close since its execution time exceeded the configured maximum.
You may want to go to the Settings page and increase the "Stop the scheduled task after" time.

The setting was 72 hours so I don't understand why 1 min 21 secs is too long, however I've now unticked the option and will see if it runs successfully tomorrow morning.

Could it be because it thinks it's a continuation of the previous nights run? This would explain why it works every 2 or 3 days. Interesting though. I wouldn't mind knowing why 72 hours is not acceptable if you have any ideas.