Using CD Writer

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
kevinsmotherman

Using CD Writer

Post by kevinsmotherman »

When using CD Writer to copy a backup to CD, after specifying the backup options I am prompted to enter a blank CD. I insert a CD-R and select OK. The CD window clears for a few seconds, then comes back and asks for a blank CD. It appears I can't use CD Writer. What's up? (I have a Sony Spressa CRX 145S SCSI CD burner).
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

We hope to release a beta version of AISBackup soon were we have integrated the CD Writer. This beta version will contain additional diagnostic information that we hope can help us solve problems like this.

For readers of this post I am working directly with Kevin on this problem.
pjanos

Post by pjanos »

Unfortunately I have the same problem. I am also using a Sony CD-RW drive and Adaptek Direct CD v2.5d. I would love some help to get it working OR instructions on how to rollback to ver1.0.5 which I was successfully using. I want to keep using the product - It's a ripper, just need to get some of the bugs out.

Thanks

Phillipa
Barry
Site Admin

CD Writer Interface

Post by Barry »

Hi Phillipa

We did not take away the old method of writing to CD, i.e. the Packet Writing Interface DirectCD will still work with version 1.6.

Please go to the option Tools / Program Options and click Check for the packet writing system, if AISBackup does not find DirectCD but you know it installed and working correctly you can manually enter the name DIRECTCD then check the Packet Writing Checkbox.

Version 2.5d of DirectCD is quite old and AISBackup may not be detecting it properly. If the AISBackup is not able to detect your CD Writer then leave this option unchecked. AISBackup will then perform as it did in version 1.0.5.

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
dolph

Preparing an emergency CD

Post by dolph »

I seem to be having the same problem: I jump throough the hoops and actually start the emergency script backup to a CD. The process starts then, after a few seconds, stops. I've tried resetting the RMA on the CD settings but this didn't help. On the other hand, as I had prepared an emergency foldr on a removable hard drive, I was able to copy that folder to the CD - thus the CD writer works.

How do I get the process to work properly? Having an emergency backup Cd is an importnat componenet of the program and, frankly, I'm reluctant to register the program unless I can get this to work.

Also, I tried to send this information in as a bug report but the program locked up when I clicked to send.
dolph

More of the same - failure to write an emergency backup

Post by dolph »

I'm having the same problem. Backup of the emergency script to a CD starts off properly. Within a few seconds, it stops and I'm back where I started. Inasmuch as having an emergency restore capability is an important reason for using the program, this is an importnat bug. Is there a way aroound it?

Thank you.
Barry
Site Admin

Emergency System Backup to CD

Post by Barry »

Hello

Owing to the many different ways CD writers are made, or indeed the software interface to the CD Writers, it is not possible to guarantee that 100% of all CD Writers will work with AISBackup. We realised that this would be a problem so we enabled a 'wait' option to enable users of AISBackup to create a CD using a third party CD Mastering program such as Roxio Easy CD Creator, Nero Burning ROM and many more. Most CD Writers come with CD Mastering software so we thought this would not be a bad compromise.

Unfortunately the 'Use Own CD Writer' (meaning use a third party CD Writer) is not used in the Copy Backup to CD option when the AISBackup internal CD writer has been activated. This has now been corrected by putting a question in just befor the copy phase.

A work around is to disable the AISBackup internal CD Writer (leave packet writing enabled) re-start AISBackup and run the Copy to CD options for your emergency system backup. Create a bootable CD using the AISBackup Enhanced Windows start-up diskette if possible.

Barry
dolph

Re: Emergency System Backup to CD

Post by dolph »

How do I disable "the internal CD writer". Where do I find it?

Thank you.
Barry wrote:Hello

Owing to the many different ways CD writers are made, or indeed the software interface to the CD Writers, it is not possible to guarantee that 100% of all CD Writers will work with AISBackup. We realised that this would be a problem so we enabled a 'wait' option to enable users of AISBackup to create a CD using a third party CD Mastering program such as Roxio Easy CD Creator, Nero Burning ROM and many more. Most CD Writers come with CD Mastering software so we thought this would not be a bad compromise.

Unfortunately the 'Use Own CD Writer' (meaning use a third party CD Writer) is not used in the Copy Backup to CD option when the AISBackup internal CD writer has been activated. This has now been corrected by putting a question in just befor the copy phase.

A work around is to disable the AISBackup internal CD Writer (leave packet writing enabled) re-start AISBackup and run the Copy to CD options for your emergency system backup. Create a bootable CD using the AISBackup Enhanced Windows start-up diskette if possible.

Barry