Need to Backup to Multiple USB Drive and a FTP Ser

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
mwoplock

Need to Backup to Multiple USB Drive and a FTP Server

Post by mwoplock »

I have just downloaded the evaluation software have been playing with it a bit. I must say I really like the product so far.

What I need to accomplish is setting up a rotation of 5 USB drives. One drive for each weekday, Monday through Friday. Each day I want to unplug "yesterday's" USB Drive and plug in "Today's" USB Drive. All drives are the same make and model.

I would also like to send a copy to an FTP Server as part of the process.

From what I can tell, I must have a different volume name for each drive. I also must 'read the configuration from the media'.

Should I create a job for the FTP and a separate job for the disk backup? or should they be the same job? (I think I read they can be part of the same job)

Is there anything else I need to do?
Mike
Appropriate Systems, LLC
Barry
Site Admin

USB backup options

Post by Barry »

We only enable a rotation of 3 drives when using different volume names, however, if all drives use the same volume name then there is no problem. Setting the “Open Backup Contents from Backup media” parameter will ensure that everything runs correctly. A separate session based backup will automatically be maintained for each drive. If you want to keep the size of the backup data down also look at the Advanced Session Management option (Manage Backup / Edit Backup Job Parameters / Advanced Session Management). You will not need to use the “Modify FireWire/USB Drives” option as this is for external drives which use different volume names, and there is a possibility that more than one may be connected to the PC. Using your scheme is a good idea, and it does not matter if the drive is not swapped out one day. The only down side is that it is a manual process to decide which USB drive contains the data you want to restore, but I should not think this is a major issue.

The FTP job should be separate, but you may base it on the existing USB job during job set-up. If you use advanced session management on the FTP backup keep the size of the zip files quite small to decrease network traffic. (Max pre-compressed size (MB) on the same Edit Backup Job Parameters form).

Barry
mwoplock

Post by mwoplock »

THanks for the reply. THis is what I will try
Mike
Appropriate Systems, LLC