Tried to Restore Windows server 2003

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Panteradon

Tried to Restore Windows server 2003

Post by Panteradon »

After I did a test recovery of Windows Server 2003, I get numerous errors on startup. Is there a tutorial specifically for Windows Servers systems?

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

Server 2003 Restore

Post by Barry »

There is the disk to disk tutorial here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/USBDR1.htm

Other than that you must ensure that all files were backed up, this may involve closing some services (using AISBackup), did the backup complete successfully?

Which version of AISBackup are you using?

Did you restore ‘over the top’ of the running version of Server 2003 or to a new drive.

What are the server errors at boot time?

Barry
Panteradon

2003 Server Backup

Post by Panteradon »

I did a complete backup using the current trial version of AISbackup.

I then did a restore over the top of the working system to insure that the backup worked.

I will not be able to list the errors until tonight. But they were all serviced errors as I recall.

Don
Barry
Site Admin

Server 2003 Restore

Post by Barry »

If possible please send us the log files by using the Help / Bug Report / Attach Job Files option.

Do you recall seeing any backup errors? For example, SQL Server data will not backup unless the MSSQLSERVER service is suspended during the backup.

Barry
Panteradon

Post by Panteradon »

There were no messages about error during the backup.

I will try and get the logs tonight.

Another problem with this is that I am a novice with 2003 Server.

Don
Barry
Site Admin

Server 2003

Post by Barry »

We will try and duplicate your system backup and restore here. As much information as possible about your server and what is running on it would be useful.

Barry
Panteradon

Server

Post by Panteradon »

I am running an out of the box trial version of Windows server 2003. I have made absolutely no configurations to the system.

I am backing up to the same drive as the operating system. (c:)

There are no other hardware components on the machine and no cd writer.

My plan was to prove the product and then use it as a backup tool for a doctors office that is running a "windows 2000 server" system with no backup.
Panteradon

errors

Post by Panteradon »

Application errors:
1 -
MS DTC Tracing infrastructure : the initialization of the tracing infrastructure failed. Internal Information : msdtc_trace : File: d:\srv03rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\trace\src\tracelib.cpp, Line: 1107, StartTrace Failed, hr=0x80070005

2 -
MS DTC log file not found. After ensuring that all Resource Managers coordinated by MS DTC have no indoubt transactions, please run msdtc -resetlog to create the log file.

3-
MS DTC Transaction Manager start failed. LogInit returned error 0x5.

4 -
Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager.

5-
MS DTC Tracing infrastructure : the attempt to flush the existing trace data failed. Internal Information : msdtc_trace : File: d:\srv03rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\trace\src\tracelib.cpp, Line: 1690, QueryTrace Failed, hr=0x80071069

System Eror:

1-
The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error 3221229584 (0xC0001010).
Panteradon

FIXED IT

Post by Panteradon »

It is fixed. I had to delete the log file and restart the service.

Don
Barry
Site Admin

Repair MSDTC

Post by Barry »

Actually when I had the same problem the fix seemed a little more complicated than “Delete the log” so I will post what worked here:

The log is deleted (reset) with:

Start / Run / msdtc -resetlog

MSDTC may have to be reconfigured with (I ran this anyway):

Start / Run / msdtc -install
  • Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Component Services.

In the Component Services Wizard, expand Component Services, and then double-click Computers.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the MS DTC tab, and then click Tracing Options.

Click in sequence: Stop Session, New Session, Flush Data, OK, OK

Restart the DTC service
I do not know if AISBackup is causing this problem but I will re-post after a few more test backup / restore sessions.
Panteradon

You right

Post by Panteradon »

Barry,

You are correct about the steps to take. It was not as simple as delete log. I did have to run the:
Start / Run / msdtc -resetlog
and
Restart the Service.

NOW:
I have created a recover diskette. I need to make sure I can do the recover if the system has been compromised.

DOn