"file not on zip" during restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Evil Elvis

"file not on zip" during restore

Post by Evil Elvis »

Trying to restore a backup located on a secondary hard drive to the primary hard drive. AIS is giving the error message "file not on zip" regardless if I select on file or the entire backup. The odd thing is, in the log it is recording the names of the files inside the zip.

primary hd is a maxtor 200gb ata
secondary hd is a maxtor 40gb ata
cpu : amd64 2800+
ram : 512mb pc3200

Been using AIS for over a year. This is the only time I really need the backup restored. I could open the zip files manually and copy things but I am already waaay behind schedule.

Ideas?

evil elvis[/i]
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

There are a few reasons why a file may be missing from a zip file:

A backup was restarted but backup media belonging to a previous backup was used during the restore. In this situation the file you are looking to restore may be in another zip file.

A backup has been pruned but an older version of the backup contents is been used to access the backup, i.e. a contents file that till has removed files catalogued.

It has been deliberately removed.

Anti-virus software may have removed files which contain viruses.

The zip file has become corrupt.

For all of the above situations the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option may be used to reconcile the differences between what is in the backup ‘zip’ files and what is in the backup contents file.

Following a validate operation please note: The zip file standard does not store the original drive letter of each file, if AISBackup cannot ascertain the drive letter it will catalogue them under a special ‘drive’ called orphans. To move these files back to their original drives use the Manage Backup / Backup Maintenance option, right click the drive orphans and select the menu option change drive.

Barry
Evil Elvis

Post by Evil Elvis »

Thanks for the quick response Barry. It would seem that whatever took out my system on the old computer managed to find its way into my backups as well. They are completely trashed. However, I had yet another backup I had forgotten about and it is ok.

It would seem I need to spend some time reading the manual, somthing I used to stress heavily when I was in a tech support position but never did myself.

Again, thanks. You helped and taught. That is what support is all about.

Stephen Osborn

Evil Elvis
Live Free Or Die

www.evil-elvis.com