Microsoft Recovery Console

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Microsoft Recovery Console

Post by Brian E »

For info/interest only:-

After having had a problem with my PC a few months ago, I thought I would use AIS Backup to install the Microsoft Recovery Console. That worked fine, but when I came to try to use it, I hit a problem - my password would not be accepted. I found an article on the Microsoft Web site about this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;308402) but after contacting Microsoft, they simply referred me to my computer supplier. After a few e-mail exchanges, my computer supplier came to the conclusion that my Windows system was corrupt and needed to be re-installed! Since my computer is working OK, I have no intention of taking their advice and have opted for a simpler remedy - removal of the Recovery Console. If I need to use it again, I'll have to change the bootup sequence and use it from the recovery CD as before.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with trying to use the Recovery Console?
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Recovery Console Password

Post by Barry »

The recovery console password is governed by the password for user account Administrator on the PC. A lot of XP home users may not even be aware that there is a User Account called Administrator as it does not usually show up anywhere, that is, unless you boot into Safe Mode.

Most XP installations set the password to nothing, i.e. just press ENTER, this is very weak security, as the account Administrator has full control over the PC.

To change the password for Administrator enter this command via Start / Run:

control userpasswords2

Select Administrator and then click Reset Password…

I should be pleased if you would confirm that this instruction helps with your Recovery Console problem.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

I followed your procedure but couldn't get the recovery console to work. First problem was that it didn't install properly (I received a message "NTLDR is missing" if I tried to use it and I had to recover a file called cmldr from the recycle bin before it would load properly).

After successfully installing the recovery console, I changed the administrators password, but the recovery console still refused to accept it. I have therefore uninstalled it again.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Recovery Console

Post by Barry »

This needs to be looked at. Please confirm XP SP2, NTFS or FAT32 Drive?

Not everybody has got a Windows XP CD to boot the Recovery Console.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with NTFS.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

There is a problem with AISBackup installing the Recovery Console after upgrading to SP2. Unfortunately the option will have to be removed from AISBackup as the missing file CMDLDR is created by Microsoft's installation process rather than exists on the installation media.

We will post instructions on how to slipstream the XP installation files and SP2 upgrade on the web-site and add the instructions to the help file of AISBackup from release 2.1.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

As Brian mantioned out: All owners of XP installation CD’s will be able to boot into the Recovery Console using the CD.

Barry