XP Security / Permissions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jstrong

XP Security / Permissions

Post by jstrong »

AISBackup version number 1.10.2.221

Backup destination media type:- Hard disk

Windows Operating system version:- XP 2002 SP2

I have picked up an oddity since (I think) I upgraded to SP2. It's to do with permissions and is in conection with files that I back up from an Apple Mac:-

- I have a scheduled task running daily that backs up my Mac files to the PC on which AISBackup is running. The scheduled task specifies the same logon name and password that is used to log in to the Mac.

This task runs without problem.

- However, if I go into AISBackup (having logged in with the same username and password as the Scheduled Task) and request "Modify Files and Folders List", I receive many (37) warnings "\\jimsmac\jimstrong is not accessible. Access is denied. When the files window is presented, all my carefully ticked files have been unticked. At this point I close the window, without OKing.

Do you have any thoughts as to why this should occur? Originally, I was able to select the files without problem to create the backup.

Many thanks

Jim
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

I've just recreated this using a new test backup:-

I was able to see the network drive and I selected one folder & its files to back up - all were ticked. Once the set up was complete, I asked to modify files and folders and received one error message as reported above and all the selected files / folders then had no ticks against them.

This is without exiting AISBackup it happens in the same session.

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Using a Windows 2000 Server a folder was set-up which was only given access to one User, i.e. all access to Administrator was denied. A share was set-up to this folder. The server was connected to via AISBackup running on another PC (XP), the Administrator logon was used when connecting to the share (via the AISBackup Map Network Drive option). The folder could not be accessed via Windows Explorer after mapping, this is the desired behaviour as access to Administrator was denied. However, AISBackup was able to backup this folder using version 1.10.

If there are related error messages in the <job>.log file please send it to us.

There were a few problems with the Manage Backup / Add and Remove Files option similar to your observation, but only if the network link was disconnected.

Pre-Release 2.0 Build 234 has had some changes made to get around this problem, some other network related code has also been changed which may fix the problem.

Have you got a pre SP2 backup of XP to restore to another drive or partition to re-try the MAC backup with? (i.e. create a dual boot system)

pre-release build 234 may be downloaded from:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Thanks Barry

Here's where I am so far:-

- The problem also arises with build 234

- Just to be clear:- the backup runs perfectly well - it's the "modify files and folder lists" that is experiencing the difficulty. Does this work OK on your set-up?

- Because of this, the log files all look OK as far as I can see.

- I am logged onto the PC with the same logon and password as the Mac Administrator, by the way. I don't get the option to enter any other logons when I map the drive from within AISBackup - is this why?

- I've not got a pre-SP2 version of XP, but I guess I could partition a drive and install it. Or will I run into MS registration problems?

Thanks a lot

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

XP Insttallations

Post by Barry »

It is okay to have multiple versions of the same XP build on the same PC. We need to do this for testing backup from multiple dated sessions 'over the top' of the running operating system. It is always safer to do this on a copy of the 'main' copy of Windows XP.

The select files for backup works here.

If you change both your password and the admin password on the Mac AISBackup should display the Username / Password screen from which you may re-input the Admin password. (You may change them back to afterwards).

I'll look into the logon username / password option. Windows, by default, uses the last Username and Password used.

Is there a log file showing an errors?

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

OK - I'll look into partitioning the disk and setting up a virgin "old" XP.

In the meantime I'll email all the logfiles in to you.

I changed the password as suggested and did get the prompt to enter the new one when I selected "Map Network drive" - but still no change in behaviour.

However, I did note the following:-

- after I had selected "modify files etc" and got past the error messages, I right-clicked on the network drive in the left hand pane. I then got the same "access denied" error message. However, on right-clicking on it a second time (with no other action in between), I was allowed in.

- I tried the whole process again from scratch and this time selected the little "plus" sign. The drive expanded without problem and gave no error message on right-clicking.

Does that give any clues?

Thanks a lot

Jim
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Just to say that - having spent an hour on it this morning - I am having trouble setting up a dual boot system:-

- My Partition Magic is several versions behind (v 4) and I don't particulary want to spend any more money with Symantec, who I discovered now own it, for something I now don't really use.

- I tried to set up on old XP version on my second drive, but received an error message advising that I was trying to install over a newer version and I couldn't get beyond that.

I will persevere with this if it is the only way to go, but perhaps we could review it once you have been able to take a look at the error logs I mailed in?

Thanks a lot

Jim
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Sorry for all these piecemeal comments, but I have just noticed another oddity:-

If I select a file using "modify files", OK the selection and then go straight back in to "modify files" again, the box remains ticked as expected. If I then OK it and run a backup, I get the behaviour reported previously (e.g. access denied and then the box is unticked).

In the meantime I have set up a backup up from another PC on the network and everything is fine, so it does seem to be something specific to the Mac.

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

MAC

Post by Barry »

I was wondering if an exception error is reported in the log (and the top portion of the log screen) when the 'no check' problem occurs? If you can check the upper part of the log screen just prior and then just after clicking Modify Files and Folders that may help. It must be something to do with AISBackup re-establishing the share. If a permanent share is set-up to the Mac does AISBackup work then?

Before trying this please press * about 6 times until *** All Debug Mode *** is displayed (this is after CD Debug mode).

Which Mac OS are you using?

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

> If you can check the upper part of the log screen just prior and then
> just after clicking Modify Files and Folders that may help.
I set it to *** All Debug Mode *** but the log does not seem to record any activity when clicking Modify Files and Folders, I'm afraid.

> If a permanent share is set-up to the Mac does AISBackup work then?
I have tried it with a permanent share (e.g. set up in Windows) and without - but it seems to have no effect on the behaviour.

> Which Mac OS are you using?
10.3.7 - I have Personal File Sharing and Windows Sharing turned on.

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

It is obviously not a connection problem as you can connect when setting up the job. The fault could be when applying the pre-set values, although this does not go wrong here when using a Windows server.

The problem may be name related, so please send us the <jobname>.bdb and <jobname>.buz files along with the latest <jobname>.log file. The easiest way to do this is via the Help / Bug Report option.

Have you got a pre-sp2 backup you can restore to the second hard drive?

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

OK - I've sent the Bug Report with the bugattachment.zip. I chose a very small test backup which has the reported problem.

Unfortunately I don't have a pre-SP2 backup to restore to the second drive. This does seem to be important to you to help track the problem down - I might be able to borrow a laptop which *may* have XP SP1 on it, I'll have to check tomorrow.

Thanks

Jim
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Hi Barry

Have got the laptop connected running xp 2002 (i.e. pre SP2), but my supposition has been proved wrong - the same problem occurred.

It was running XP Professional, whereas I have the Home version.

It looks like it is pointing to something else, therefore, but are there any specific things you'd like me to do on it before I return it?

Cheers

Jim
Barry
Site Admin

MAC Share problem

Post by Barry »

I have located the part of the program that is displaying the error, in fact the display should have been removed in favour of a logged error (after all there may have been thousands). Extra trace messages have been added to try and see why the program is failing .

The fault is in the code that populates the tree view with the folder names, it is exactly the same code whether the job is set-up for the first time or when using the Add / Remove files option so I find the error quite bizarre, and one that cannot be replicated here.

I hope the extra trace messages will shed some light on the problem.

I willl e-mail you when AISBackup has been uploaded.

Barry
jstrong

Post by jstrong »

Thanks Barry - great service!

Here's hoping that the trace messages will help pinpoint what's going on - I'll hopefully be able to feed back quite quickly.

Jim