Windows XP Registry Backup Problems

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
privateer

Windows XP Registry Backup Problems

Post by privateer »

I've been trying out AISBackup on Windows XP SP2 and have been generally impressed. However, I've found one problem that I can't quite get around and haven't seen anything in this forum that addresses it.

My user profile is *not* in the default place of c:\Documents and Settings\... Instead, I've moved my user profile to e:\homes\... When I try to have AISBackup do a backup of my C: drive, it does not include my ntuser.dat or usrclass.dat in the backup as they are on my E: drive. And when I try to do a backup of my E: drive while logged in, those files can't be backed up because they are open exclusive and the file system is NTFS. Strangely, if I use Tools > Backup Registry, the contents of those hives gets included in the backup. That would say to me that AISBackup knows where these files are (and the Registry key that tells where they are is correct) but won't include them as part of the Registry automatically when doing a backup.

Has anyone else run into this scenario with a user profile moved to a non-default location? I could work around it if I could trigger a Tools > Backup Registry automatically before running my C: drive backup (and exclude the files on my E: drive backup), but I haven't figured out how to do that, yet.

Thanks,
Scott
Barry
Site Admin

Backup and Restore of re-located User Settings

Post by Barry »

Thank you for raising this issue.

There is indeed a problem with moved profiles and we now have an XP build with two relocated Users to fix this problem. Our tests show that the Tools / Registry Backup does not work as it does not backup relocated User Settings if the User is not logged on.

We will get this fixed in 2.0 beta ASAP.

Barry