Is this scenario possible?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jkdufair

Is this scenario possible?

Post by jkdufair »

First, let me say, I really enjoy AIS Backup. I've been using it since 1.8 and I think it's a really well designed and engineered piece of software. A beacon in Windows-land for design and engineering. And the support is outstanding!

Right now I back up my main documents at home, nominally, weekly to CD using AIS Backup. I then touch a file in my home directory and have a shell script on the Linux box on my network that grabs the files via Samba that are newer than the touched file and tars/zips/FTPs them to my work machine.

What I'd love to do is have an AIS Backup scheduled job that runs nightly to, effectively, replace my shell script. In other words, have it FTP files to work every night that have changed since the last time I backed up to CD. Is this scenario possible with AIS Backup?
Barry
Site Admin

Backup files modified since a specified date

Post by Barry »

You can set AISBackup to backup files modified since a specified date, but not since another job was run. This may be suitable, but bear in mind that if a file is restored to the folders been backed up the modified date will be set back to the original modified date so would not be backed up to FTP – although if a file is restored it is on a backup already.

See the option Manage Backup / Edit Backup Job Parameters / Files Modified Within Days or Since Date.

Barry
jkdufair

Post by jkdufair »

Thanks, Barry

I guess it would be nice to have the option of having a job back up files since the last time another job was run. Or in a more general sense, an intermediate backup that backs up to a separate medium since the "main" medium was backed up.

Let me also say the the help in AISBackup is great. I was having trouble understanding how to choose which files to back up (and specifically how to exclude) and the help explained it perfectly. Again, thanks for a great piece of software.
k64

Post by k64 »

I wholeheartedly agree that a) this is a great piece of software and b) it would be very convenient to be able to create an intermediate backup that backs up to a separate medium since the "main" medium was backed up.

I have been trying for some time to back up about 600Mb of data on a weekly basis to CD+R, then to backup incrementaly to hard drive on a daily basis. The former guards against hard drive failure, the latter guards against finger trouble.

My best try to date requires two backups. One, to hard disk, is run 6 days per week and keeps the last 6 sessions, the other, to CD+R, is run weekly. The problem with this is that I have to Reset the weekly backup every week in order to create a complete backup and it always writes a CD+R with the same name so I have to be sure to write the date on it myself to distinuish the different CDs.

If anyone has a suggestion which improves upon this method, I would be very happy to learn of it.
Many regards

Keith