Very slow backup preparation

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
AndrewHawke

Very slow backup preparation

Post by AndrewHawke »

I have been using AISbackup for several years and have been very happy with it. It has performed faultlessly. However over the past few days it has suddenly started taking ages to *prepare* some jobs. I am running XP Pro SP2 and backing up a networked hard disc with a 512MB P4 2.4 over a network to a local hard disc. I am using the latest version 1.10.2.221 (registered). Backup is session-based (10 sessions) with high compression, and file itegrity check. The backup preparation traverses some 1,834 folders until it finds the first file that needs backing up, and then proceeds very slowly (several hours on the same folder), and I think will eventually backup successfully, after many hours. Normally the entire job runs in a few minutes.

I've run chkdsk on the host drive (NTFS) - no problems, and I've tried TaskInfo to try and see if anything odd is happening. Apart from the fact that the job is using 100% CPU, everything looks normal. The program is yielding to other tasks, and is responsive.

I installed an Iomega REV drive at about the time I started having problems. I disabled their Automatic Backup Pro s/ware in case this was conflicting, and did manage to back up the drive successfully yesterday - however, the scheduled job last night again slowed right down, and is still running. The REV drivers are still installed, but I note that you specifically mention the REV, so presumably you've tested these. (I'm NOT backing up to the REV - yet.) Are there any known problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as all my AISbackup scheduled jobs are failing as this one job is still running. (I can terminate it, but I must backup that drive.)

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew Hawke | Managing Editor | Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru | University of Wales Dictionary of the Welsh Language | National Library of Wales | Aberystwyth | SY23 3HH
Barry
Site Admin

Possible conflict with Iomega REV drives?

Post by Barry »

Please try the pre-release 1.10.3 version of AISBackup as this uses a slightly different way of calculating the backup.

Technically the preparation of a backup used to be done in a separate thread. In version 1.10.3 we moved this to the normal AISBackup thread. Prepare Backup was change to Run Backup in version 1.10, this caused Windows 95, 98 & ME to prepare the backup more slowly but we were not aware of any possible conflict with Windows XP and Iomega REV drives.

Barry