Extended Backup Time / Windows Daylight Saving

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
rickyardley

Extended Backup Time / Windows Daylight Saving

Post by rickyardley »

This problem is sort of sorting it's self out, but briefly:

Have been using AIS 1.0.5 very successfully for some months, backing up data over an Ethernet link to a Pentium P100 running W98. The machine is equiped with a ZIP 250 internal drive. Due to the small amount of data to be backed up each day, I use incremental backups with one disk for each day of the week. By doing this I can "turn back the clock" to any day in the past six week period.
First backup on a newly formatted ZIP disk takes about 20 minutes, but from there onwards each daily backup only takes 3 - 5 minutes depending upon how much work I have done during the day.

Several days ago, backup time suddenly increased to 20 minutes per day and on checking the backup while it was taking place tonight, I discovered that that everything was being backed up, rather than just any changed files.
It has just occured to me that British Summer Time ended at about the same time that the increase in backup time occured.
The machine doing the backup has had it's "Daylight Saving" updated, but the machine which holds the data runs 24/7 unattended, and so is still running BST.
I can't get my head around why this should make a difference, but perhaps somebody with greater knowledge than myself could satisfy my curiosity.

Many thanks,

Rick.
Barry
Site Admin

Version 1.0.5 Daylight Saving

Post by Barry »

On first reading your post I assumed you were using a version of AISBackup before a problem with NTFS disks and daylight saving transitions was fixed (incidentally you are using a very old version of AISBackup and all upgrades are compatible with old backups, and free).

The latest version may fix this problem. The destination of the backup should not make a difference as the file modified times are help within the AISBackup database and zip files.

Which operating system and disk type is been backup up? I will run tests with both 1.0.5 and 1.10.

Barry