Quick Erase versus Full Erase

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
raycyn

Quick Erase versus Full Erase

Post by raycyn »

What is the difference between the two erase options? I realize that Quick Erase will suffice in most cases. What does Full Erase do that is different.

I am using Build 221.
Ray Wright
Barry
Site Admin

Erase Disc

Post by Barry »

Quick erase erases the table of contents on the disc, Full erase erases the actual contents. In my experience some discs may need a full erase in order to get them working again.

I noticed that you mentioned AISBackup on the alt.backup-software newsgroup. AISBackup is eminently suitable for backup to external disk drive. If two or more disks are used in rotation and they share the same Volume name (not normally a good idea) as the disks are swapped AISBackup can be set to base the next backup on the content of the disk been used. For example, if disk 1 is used for a week and then swapped with disk 2, the next backup is based on the contents of disk 2 rather than the previously used disk 1. This method may be used to keep a 1 week old off-site backup with daily backups been made to the disk in the office. At the end of the week switch the disks back and you have ‘last weeks - full backup‘ information off-site.

The Dantz XP Emergency backup CD, mentioned in the thread, is essentially a set-up CD of XP which installs XP to another ‘restore’ folder instead of C:\Windows. This enables Dantz to restore the ‘proper’ operating system back to ‘C:\Windows’. AISBackup uses the Microsoft Recovery Console to switch operating systems’, so the standard Windows installation CD (or other manufacturer supplied media) may be used. I am not knocking Dantz, I am just pointing out that AISBackup is not lacking in the disaster recovery arena. Oh, and AISBackup is capable of restoring to another physical drive without causing Windows to hang when booted – to be fair, with other backup software, this problem is only really going to be a problem if XP is not running from C: - which was the case when I tested Dantz.

Dantz Retrospect Express software came free with a Maxtor FireWire/USB2 drive.

Barry
raycyn

Post by raycyn »

Barry,

Thank you for the information on the different Erase functionalities. I had noticed that I sometimes got better results when doing a full erase - now I know why.

It is timely that you mentioned Dantz as I plan to purchase a Maxtor external hard drive to use for backups and disaster recovery. However I did not plan to use that software for my backups, but AISBackup instead. Your comments about access to the MS Recovery Console just reinforced my decision.

Thanks again.
Ray Wright