XP crashing

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
mark

XP crashing

Post by mark »

I'm using XP Home and version 1.10. When trying to back up my photos (1 Gb's worth) the software writes the first disc, ejects the CD then takes it back and begins to check the folders. About half way through this the computer shuts down and restarts itself. Windows tells me that the computer has recovered from a serious error due to a driver problem.

Can you help?

Mark
[/quote]
Barry
Site Admin

XP Crashing: Things to check

Post by Barry »

AISBackup uses the standard Microsoft API (i.e. using the built in READ command) to read the files from the CD so the driver is likely to be part of the operating system. Here are a few things you can check:

Go to the PC Motherboard site and check for Firmware / BIOS and Driver updates, especially any regarding the IDE interface (I am guessing the CD writer is IDE).

Check the CD writer manufacturers site for Firmware updates.

Try setting the CD Writer Transfer mode from DMA to PIO; this is not an ideal solution because the CD writer will no longer write at full speed. If this works then contact your PC / CD manufacturer for advice on getting DMA working properly. This may not be possible so also try Google Groups or posting questions on an appropriate newsgroup:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/How_to_RemoveDMAXP.htm

You do not say whether you are using the integrated CD writer or a third party Packet Writing system. If you are using our integrated writer try lowering the burn speed. I have known faulty CD’s case PC’s to hang; this usually is allied to a UDF system like Roxio Drag-to-Disc trying to make sense of what is on the disc and consequently doing more harm than good – forcing a cold boot.

Try and find out more about what the ‘serious error’ was by clicking ‘Details’. You may be able to find a solution by doing some searches on Google groups.

Have you installed SP2 yet? This may solve the problem. Many PC magazines in the UK are including SP2 with their cover discs this month (October 2004 issues) – this may be worth checking out.

Re-Trying the CD.

AISBackup can be set to resume the backup from the failed CD, use the Manage Backup / Import Backup Contents File and locate the <jobname>.bdb file from the CD. Then use the Manage Backup / Test (Validate) option to re-check the CD, if this still bombs then, if possible, try the same CD on another PC or another CD device in the same PC.

Barry