Question about Sessions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

Question about Sessions

Post by Hughg »

Could I check that I understand how sessions work? I have a database which I backup regularly, which consists of a main file and a bunch of small ones in a subdirectory. All of the files get changed regularly, and the small ones get added to or deleted as well. I use the "session" method of backup.

If I restore to a session, say, a week ago, is everything rolled back so that the main file is as it was then, and the small files that existed then are restored to the state they were then, and the ones that were created since then are deleted (assuming that I select the "delete" option during the restore process)?

Thanks
Hugh
Barry
Site Admin

Session based backups

Post by Barry »

Yes, you can demonstrate this to yourself by cycling through the sessions while viewing the restore form. There is a Sessions column on the restore form that shows the created and deleted session, as well as the zip file the file is physically on.

Perhaps we should create a written script using notepad to create, change and delete files between backups to demonstrate session based backups.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Thanks, Barry. Yes, maybe an illustrative script would be a good idea. It's a tricky idea to get across, isn't it?

Hugh