Pre Run Job? CPU Throttle?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
sexy-trousers

Post by sexy-trousers »

I currently have it set to a low setting, I doa full backup everynight and also am using your ftp as you go feature.

I currently only have a few test sites on my machine, all I can say is often (not always) and depending on when my monitoring apps check poll the machine (i.e. a cpu, memory usage and a http pull on a site or two) the CPU is flatlined and the http poll fails, claiming the site is down.

Now it may be because the web site app pool has recycled or something and the process is unable to restart because of the high cpu usage, I don't know. It would be nice if there were a simplistic way of restricting how many cpu resources AISBackup (or any process for that matter), but I've been unable to find any. There is the System Resource Manager (WSRM) that was just released, but that only runs on Advance and Datacenter version of Windows 2003.

Many applications have throttling functionality, I have no idea how they do it, just that they can. Perhaps you cook hook into a cpu/process performance counter on NT/2k/2k3 and use that as a self throttling mechanism?

Sorry I'm so demanding, you have a great product here, If there is no way this can be done, then so be it - it's a great product without this functionality, then again, if you can make it work, it would an unbelieveable product :)
Barry
Site Admin

CPU Usage Throttle

Post by Barry »

CPU usage may be limited from build 223 of AISBackup. See the new options:

Tools / Program Options / Advanced / Maximum CPU Usage, there is a setting for auto-run and when run from the main AISBackup interface.

If you would like to be able to set the CPU usage in real time (for fine tuning and monitoring effect of change) a track bar may be displayed on the AISBackup main form by using the Tools / Program Options / Program Settings / Show CPU Usage Setting Bar on Main Form.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

Barry
sexy-trousers

Post by sexy-trousers »

You are a genuis Barry! It works a treat :-)

The only thing that I observed is when AISBackup hits the "Backup Contents File" and Preparing Registry Hives stages, it appeared it was able to break the throttling rules (flatlining my cpu again). Aside for that, it stayed within my set bounds - well done! How did you finally implement this?

Also, I tested the email log option on the earlier release and it appeared it did not send an email when run as a scheduled job, I retried it interactive and it sent just fine. I was holding off posting my findings until I left it to run unattended again tonight (just in case I missed something and I'm making all this up) - but as I'm leaving this post I thought I would throw it in... I will get back to you as to whether this is a real issue or not tomorrow.

Thanks again! you provide the best support anywhere I have seen on the net :-)

TJ
sexy-trousers

Post by sexy-trousers »

Just to confirm, the email log option doesn't appear to work when run as an unattended job, although works fine when run interactively. A completion email is sent as it did before the new attach log option, perhaps the original email option overrides the new option?

Thanks. TJ
Barry
Site Admin

E-mail option

Post by Barry »

The new e-mail option essentially replaces the old one and an e-mail is sent after the job executes.

Check the settings again to make sure that the e-mail is sent when auto running. The only other possible reason is that the auto-run is loading an older version of AISBackup.

Perhaps you could try setting up a new, small, auto run desktop job with e-mail and test that.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

CPU Throttle Update

Post by Barry »

It is possible to throttle access to the backup contents file but not the registry backup as this is done by an uninterruptible part of the Windows API.

Barry