Huge file option and divergens in size of FTP/loca

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
larsen_casper

Huge file option and divergens in size of FTP/local backup

Post by larsen_casper »

Greetings!

I have searched/read the manual and this forum, but have not been able to find answers to my questons.

AISBackup version number: 1.10.0.213
Backup destination: FTP
Windows Operating system version: Windows XP (Dansih, SP1++, Build 2600)

Two questions:

1) From what I can read in 'Help' concerning the 'Huge file' option, it states, that huge files above 25mb (in my setup) will be compressed. Correct?

2) Surely the 'Huge file' option has nothing to do with the divergens of about 20mb when I compare the backup (zip files) of my FTP backup folder and of my local backup/shadow folder, correct? The files selected for backup consists of a few above 25mb in size.
Why is the FTP backup smaller in size than the local stored version of the backup?

I can add that my second system (Win XP, SP2, Build 2600, English) running a similarly FTP backup does not have any divergens, but this setup does not have any files larger than 17 mb to backup...

I hope I have made myself clear. I am a very impressed user of the program and so far it has been the only one in the market able to serve my needs. Thank you!
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

We introduced huge files mainly because old versions of AISBackup failed to create zip files over 500MB, we were also constrained by the size of the backup media. There is no advantage in setting huge files to < 100MB and many of our users set this value to 200MB. I do not know why there is a difference between the files on the local PC vs. the FTP server, all I can suggest is to manually copy a file back using a different file name and then compare them. From any Windows OS go to command prompt and type COMP then press <ENTER> (You are the asked to supply the 2 filenames).

If you are using FTP over a slow connection (including broadband- DSL) I would set AISBackup to create zip files as small as possible, you may have many zip files but AISBackup will remember where all the original files are. This will decrease the amount of network traffic if the prune options are used (e.g. AISBackup is set to keep 1 session). These settings do not matter so much over a LAN (unless your network manager says otherwise ;-) ).

I do know that Linux reports different file size to Windows, if this helps.

Barry